Prologue

Pools of blood and a vicious inferno were what the world was in now. Those who failed to defend lay helplessly as life slipped away from them. She paced forward despite the blood staining her pale feet, utterly devastated, until she was face-to-face with a guillotine. The execution was over. It was too late. The moment her eyes fell on the severed head of the only Angel she ever cared for, the monster awoke. A catastrophic battle like no other was only seconds away; Angels representing purity, Demons defining evil. As the proposal to coexist was defined by one, violence only remained to end this battle once and for all. They tried to make peace with them, she tried to live decently among them. But this time...they went too far.

"Begone, Demons! Return to Hell!" The Angels chanted at the two remaining Demons on the battlefield.

She ran her fingers down her long black hair as she looked around to see thousands of Demons angered with pain and defeat. Other than herself, only one other Demon remained unharmed alongside her. A fine man in a tailcoat and soft smile stuck to his alluring face.

"Father, permit me to eradicate these petty beings. I can end them single-handedly." She calmly proposed to a slender individual approaching her.

"Killing them is indeed not a difficult task, child. But for now, kill only the ones necessary. We must retreat soon, for Demons belong under. We have reigned over them for decades, it is time to give in."

"Pardon me, father-"

"We have morals as well, so do as I say. The Demon empire has crumbled."

After the order was given, the form feared by the strongest of men, she took in front of all those infuriated Angels. Magnificently massive onyx wings, pointy horns, long nails, blackness covering her from head to toe only with two glowing circles for eyes. She turned into the most terrifying monster from a nightmare, which could lead anyone to insanity.

"Since you decide not to befriend us, neither shall we try furthermore."

"Befriend? Such foolish thoughts, Demon! The impure, you Demons, do not deserve anything as such."

"Is that so? Well then, I would gladly show you how horrid we can be."

She flashed towards the leader of the Angels-the one in charge of the guillotine and tore his head apart with her bare hands. As a signal to commence, the Angel army charged at the Demon altogether. One by one, she sucked the souls of every Angel she caught.

That historical night, however, the Angels were the ones to be victorious. The Demons were forced to withdraw upon their lord's command. This was presumably the end of the Battle of Retention.

Yet to some, this was just the beginning.