Chapter 21: Partnership is for losers

It was evident; his majesty the king and Zane Adriel got along extremely well. Let's just say they were both the
extra-enthusiastic and fanatic kind, and that ought to be bad news. For twenty minutes straight, their pointless chit-chatting continued whilst Sir Ainsley explained Zane's involvement to Alexandra...but partly. The task was yet to be revealed.

"My king, I don't mean to intrude, but if you would begin the actual discussion..." Sir Ainsley intervened finally.

"You're right, Ainsley! We'll stop now."

"I must say your majesty, you're nothing like I expected you to be." Zane added in.

"Dandy you feel that way, kiddo!"

At last, Isaac called on the earl who stood still in the same spot for almost half an hour. Knowing her or as recently as he did, Zane felt she'd be better off joining the army- stiff and apathetic.

"Alexandra dear, aren't you exhausted? Take a seat!"

"Not at all, your highness. I'm alright here." She shook her head.

"Fine, I guess. Now Mr Adriel, as Ainsley mentioned, you are interested in the recent events, correct? And you're good with people?"

"I'd like to believe so, yes."

"Wonderful! I truly appreciate your adventurous demeanor and enthusiasm, Mr Adriel. Your concern and patriotism for the country is remarkable. Which is why, I'd like you to get involved in the case officially, and help my investigator with it too."

"I'm honoured, my king. Who is the investigator When will I be meeting him?"

"It's a her, actually. The one standing beside me, the earl Allura." Isaac beamed innocently.

Their conversation finally captured Alexandra's attention. Indeed she was aware of being the investigator, but there had to be several others! And besides, there was no way his highness could do that to her knowing she worked alone.

"You must be mistaken, your highness. I always work individually." Alexandra objected lethargically.

"I'm well aware of that. But I feel that you are too...meticulous and unemotional. Mr Adriel would be able to help with these assets you lack. I may trust you blindly, but not everyone can do the same."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I simply can't partner with that woman. Anyone but that nark, your highness!" Zane intervened, snorting at Alexandra.

"Likewise. He's a child on cloud nine, an amateur with a unreasonable concept of reality." The phlegmatic earl sighed, squinting at Zane with revulsion.

A formidable tension arose between the two, putting Isaac in a maladroit situation. It seemed introducing them wasn't a right choice. Who knew they'd dislike each other so abundantly.

"I see we are already familiar with each other, eh? What a small world!" Isaac chuckled, attempting to liven the atmosphere.

"Trying to bring positivity is gratuitous, your highness. It is pointless." Alexandra exhaled lifelessly.

"Sorry, my king, but I'd have to agree. Last time we tried to cooperate with each other, it didn't go as planned." Zane added.

Before Alexandra could take her leave, Isaac came up with something else.

"Wait?! Don't you kids see? You agreed to one thing together! Trust me, I know you can do it. We share the same goal, the betterment and safety of London. Please, try to compromise a little. Ainsley trusts you Mr Adriel, and so will I. And Alexandra, as my guard dog, you must accept my orders."