Chapter 20: THIS IS WAR, PEOPLE

A pulchritudinous dayspring was gifted to the Adriel residence

A pulchritudinous dayspring was gifted to the Adriel residence. The chilliness of forenoon waltzed away as the sunlight's warm took its place on stage. Zane Adriel had no wish to wake up so early, but the sun thought otherwise. Being an indolent arse as he was, rising early was challenging. However, he had a good reason to do so that Sunday morning.

About a week ago, Zane received a letter from the royal courtier, stating that he was asked to visit the Buckingham palace on his majesty's orders. Even for a nobleman, this ought to be a a consequential issue. It wasn't everyday that the king of England invited a nobleman such as himself to the Buckingham palace. What a great honour!

Without waking anyone up, Zane tiptoed out of the abode bright and early for his daily jogging. Before he could sneak out of the estate, someone came his way.

"Sir Zane, where are you headed so early?" A soft, ghostly voice asked from behind.

Zane flinched, terrified out of his wits, and turned around to see Sabrina with a hand trowel.

"Oh dear god, it's you! What're you doing in the lawn, looking so sloppy?" Zane exhaled, his heart beating excessively.

"I was planting some flowering plants to pass the time. The devices here are overly complex for me to understand!"

"Ah I see...that's odd, but who am I to judge!" Zane let our a giggle of relief.

"What about you, sir? Where to?"

"Just going out for a run. I'm out of shape, you see."

"I don't think running is something you need to stay in shape, Sir Zane..."

"What do you mean?!"

"You see, you're already skinny and barely have any muscles. I'd suggest you start working on building musclesand eat grandly!"

The truth was more bitter than bitter gourd itself, for Zane Adriel. Of course, he was insecured about his body, his weight. Having a pretty face wasn't all cookies and whipped cream. Zane always envied well-built men, not being able to get 6 packs himself. But oh well, that was that.

"L-Let's not come to that, please. I'll be back in no time, later!"

Zane waved Sabrina goodbye before running outside the gate in a hurry. The weather was just perfect for a run, the cool air messed Zane's hair, which he didn't care for nevertheless. The stress relieving run for him right before his encounter with the king himself. It was surreal, but exciting.

Small boutiques, restaurants, libraries, began to open early as well, as people prepared for a new day. The lovely old lady of the flower shop was first to greet Zane among them. She had the sweetest smile, which could make anyone's day.

"Good morning, Mrs Jenkins! Lovely weather to be selling flowers, no?" Zane greeted politely.

"Indeed, laddie! You should gift some to a loved one, eh?"