44. Fearful Call

1013 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written February 15 2021
Posted March 15 2021

Yozora was concerned, concerned and scared. The young girl eyed the door hopefully, as if both Kaito and Shinichi would walk through it any second now. Neither of them had returned from the trafficking ring and it was nearing noon. They'd left yesterday. She just knew that something must have gone wrong, they wouldn't have just left her here without any warning unless they had to.

Knowing that a lot of damage could be done within minutes, Yozora walked over towards Shinichi's nightstand, crouched down, and grabbed the small cell phone that'd been taped to its bottom. Almost a whole day was long enough right? She wouldn't be ruining their plans. She bit her lip, almost hoping that that would be the case. It was the better alternative than them being hurt, or worse, captured.

She'd been informed of the phone's existence shortly after being rescued. It was to be used if there was an emergency, Kaito wasn't even aware of its location or existence since apparently the magician would be too tempted to use it.

With the phone in hand, she moved over towards the movie collection that was never touched. Shinichi had told her that the number she should call would correspond to the first letter of each movie title, then the last, alternating in an equal pattern. While keying in the number ended up being quite difficult, she eventually managed to feel confident enough to put it in, after triple checking of course.

Nervousness fluttered in her stomach as she heard the phone ring, making her feel a bit sick. She'd never phoned anyone before, and she wasn't really sure who exactly she was calling. But Shinichi trusted them, and Kaito must too since he'd apparently be tempted to call them. Yozora jumped a bit, hearing a calm voice speak through the device "Hello?" There was a short pause "Who is calling?" The other person didn't sound mean, just wary.

"Um" Yozora spluttered a bit, afraid that whoever this was might hang up "I was told to call if something bad happened" Her cheeks flushed at how her nervousness had pitched her voice oddly.

There was an intake of breath "Are they injured?"

"They're missing and I don't know what to do" She breathed, trembling. Voicing it was harder than just thinking about it.

"...You need to leave your location, I don't know who you are but staying where they were probably isn't safe anymore"

Yozora fearfully looked around, the once cozy hotel room suddenly feeling scary "I don't know where to go, I don't know the outside world"

There was a bunch of rustling, tapping, and clicking on the other end "I'll direct you to a safe place, the phone is on a special frequency that allows only a select few people to track it" There was some muffled background noise before the voice became clear once more "Get what you need and get out of the building, don't hang up. No electronics besides the phone"

"Who are you?" Yozora asked softly as she grabbed a bag and threw in some clothes and food, along with a few bottles of water. It felt heavy, but she'd been forced to do more tiring tasks than just carrying a bag before. She would manage.

"I'm Hakuba Saguru, and you?" The tone was curious.

A bit of the nervousness that'd been weighing on her left at hearing that name. This was Kaito's lover, the other always spoke fondly of him. Now she understood why Shinichi hadn't told Kaito about the phone "I'm Yozora, Kaito and Shinichi bought me to save me" This person was trustworthy.

"I was wondering why a child was calling me" There was a bit of silence "Tell me what happened but wait until you're alone on the streets. Don't run, it attracts attention"

The girl nodded, even though Saguru couldn't see her "Right" Yozora hoisted the bag over her shoulder and did her best to look casual as she made her way out of the hotel. Her instincts were telling her to run, it was good that she was used to fighting them.

There was a bunch more clicks "Keep going left until I say so" Saguru's tone was tense.

Yozora followed suit, looking around to note that there weren't many people around "They left yesterday to try to learn more but didn't return" Her voice was soft, not wanting to be overheard "I didn't call earlier because I didn't want to mess up their plans"

"Good thinking, they're both very capable, I would have done the same" There was a pause "Turn left, and yes, I'm aware that it's not actually a path"

The girl eyed the shrubbery dubiously but listened, forcing herself through the greenery until she came upon a small clearing.

"Change your clothes and hairstyle then take another left turn"

Yozora blinked, but obeyed. She'd read something about how changing clothes can make it harder for someone to follow you. Her hair had been up in a ponytail, so she took it out and just tucked it behind her ears after changing clothes. She then began to walk in the direction that she'd been told to, eventually coming upon a large cement pipe. Yozora was pretty sure it was related to the sewers or drains, she wasn't sure which though.

"Enter the pipe, around halfway through, feel around for a latch. Pull on it, enter, and close the door behind you" Saguru paused to do something that involved more clicks and taps "Lock it once you're inside, you'll be safe but the phone connection will be cut" A few more clicks "I'm taking the first plane over, either me or Kaito and Shinichi will let you out"

The girl swallowed, doing what she'd been told. The phone buzzed and fizzled, screen dying the moment she closed the door. She looked around curiously, it was a decent sized room that held a double bed, some canned foods, a digital clock, lots of bottled water, and a bag that looked like it held some clothing. On a closer inspection it did, though it was all for adults. Was this what people called a safe house?

Me: So Saguru is acting all calm when talking to the little girl named Yozora... We all know that he's actually freaking out on the inside. 

And am I the kind of person to murder main characters in big books? Yes, yes I am ^-^ I've done it in other fandoms...

But did I do it this time? hmm

Hope you enjoyed~

I despise St.Patrick's day... Because it turns people into complete and total idiots...

Especially the university students in my city...filthy creatures... So much property damage I pity homeowners who live downtown. Those creatures really make the proper students look bad 0.0

Thank god I didn't go there >~<