59. Being Careful

1024 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written June 27 2021
Posted July 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on August 2 2021

When Saguru returned back home, the blond immediately noted the two extra pairs of shoes near the front door. Both pairs belonged to adult men. Saguru put down the grocery bags that he'd been carrying and looked into the living room, wondering why Yozora would have guests over. When he did look, only Yozora was visible, the girl was working in one of her textbooks "Did someone come over?" Yozora didn't seem to be upset.

The girl smiled as she turned her attention towards him "Your bed is currently occupied"

Gold narrowed in confusion "Okay?..." He was feeling confused.

Slate softened "You go check, I'll put away the groceries for you"

Saguru gave a confused nod "Right... Thanks..." He made his way up the stairs, curious to know just what was going on. At least it couldn't be something bad if Yozora's expression was anything to go by.

When Saguru opened the bedroom door, he froze. Both Kaito and Shinichi were lying together on the bed "Kaito..." Saguru's voice was soft as he made his way over to Kaito's side of the bed. The magician looked like he was only sleeping, he knew better though. A small weight lifted from his chest as he carefully caressed Kaito's cheek before turning his attention towards Shinichi. The sleuth was sleeping, and was probably exhausted. He wouldn't be in that specific bed otherwise.

It was so so tempting to just reach over and wake the sleuth up, to ask questions about their conditions. Saguru bit his lip, the sleuth looked just as exhausted as Kaito did... It wouldn't be right to wake his friend up just yet.

With a somewhat regretful sigh, Saguru pulled out the emergency nutrient drip and all of the required equipment to set it up. They always kept one in their bedroom, just in case something happened and the medical room was just too far away. While Kaito wouldn't need the drip to survive, it would help him to recover a bit more quickly. Due to the nature of Kaito's condition, all nutrients would be put to use, preventing any waste from forming. It was another reason why long hospital stays were dangerous for Kaito, the lack of waste and sanitary maintenance would be suspicious.

He was somewhat grateful that Kaito had been left without the drip, setting it up allowed him to do something for the other. It was a simple task, but one that made him feel a bit better all the same. When Saguru finished, he briefly contemplated hooking the sleuth up to a temporary drip before doing just that. It wouldn't harm the other, and Shinichi certainly looked like he needed the nutrients. The two of them looked like they'd lost a fair amount of weight.

Now that both Kaito and Shinichi were taken care of, Saguru realized that there was nothing else that he could do for them besides wait. Well... He could make an extra nutritious meal for when the sleuth woke up, unless said sleuth couldn't stomach solid food just yet. Maybe he'd wait on that meal for now. Despite wanting to stay and watch over them, Saguru forced himself to head back downstairs. Maybe Yozora would know something.

"I'm surprised that you came back down so soon" Yozora stated when she caught sight of the blond. She'd finished putting the groceries away and had gone on her phone instead of getting back to her textbook.

"I've done what I could for them" Saguru sighed, settling down on the couch opposite to Yozora "How did they even get in there? Shinichi couldn't have carried Kaito" The sleuth looked much too weak to be capable of such a feat.

Yozora frowned a bit "Kusama-san carried Kaito, Shinichi followed then passed out" It felt easier to call the doctor that instead of Dr. Kusama.

Gold softened with concern "Are you okay?" So that was why they'd just been left like that, Nowaki must have wanted to leave as soon as he could for Yozora's sake.

The girl gave a small nod "I mostly hid in my room until he was gone, then talked to Shinichi a bit before he passed out" She'd barely even seen the doctor "He was really exhausted, so the talk wasn't that long or important"

"I think we should let him sleep until dinner time, then force some food into him if possible" Saguru stated.

"I agree" Yozora paused "How was Fluffy?" The poor kitten was still stuck at the vet until tomorrow.

Saguru smiled "Apparently very mean to the vets until they sedated her"

The girl giggled, yeah, she could see that happening "At least she's small and easier to restrain than an adult cat.

"Maybe" Kittens could be unpredictable, in the weirdest of ways. The two talked for a bit before separating to do their own things. By the time for eating dinner came around, Saguru had made lots of steamed vegetable rice to go along with the leftover soup. Now all that there was left to do was for one of them to wake Shinichi up and drag the other down to the table for a meal.

"I'll set the plates while you get Shinichi" Yozora offered, knowing that she wouldn't be able to lift the other if that kind of help was required.

"Thanks" Saguru jogged up the stairs to fetch the sleuth. When he reentered his bedroom, he was surprised to see that Shinichi was somewhat awake. The sleuth was just laying down with half lidded eyes "Are you up for a meal?" Saguru inquired, noting that Shinichi hadn't removed his own drip.

Azure blinked "If you help me get to it I am" He sounded so tired.

"Of course" Saguru was mildly concerned that the other was asking for assistance so readily "It's the least I could do" He helped the other get up from the bed after removing the drip, allowing himself to be leaned against as he helped Shinichi down the stairs. Carrying him would have been a lot faster, but Saguru knew that the other's pride was probably already hurting quite a bit.

"I hope you like it Shinichi, I helped with cutting some of the vegetables" Yozora smiled as the sleuth sat down.

Me: So Saguru couldn't snuggle close to Kaito because Shinichi was in the way~

Shinichi should probably be in a hospital still... Stubborn... And Yozora is pleased to have another trusted person around

Comment? ^-^

°^° I feel so prepared for future wisdom teeth removal (4 at once) bought meal drinks, cheap pillow to soil (sibling made their pillow bloody), and I can live with eating soggy cereal and easy food since meal drinks fix nutrition

All I gotta do is wait for my appointment and hope I don't say anything embarassing after I wake up after it >^<