12. = XX-VIII

1022 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 17 2020
Posted June 1 2020

Berry has been in the MK/DC fandom for a year now >~< she feels so accomplished

Kaito offered a small smile before starting to dish out the leftover rice into two different containers "It was quiet, but kept me mostly busy" Being busy had helped him to get through the day without truly tearing up.

Gold softened, he understood what the magician had meant about being busy "I talked to Aoko on the phone a few hours ago" It had been shortly after he'd gotten home from work.

"Oh?" The magician raised a brow as he sealed up the rice filled containers "It's been a while since I've actually talked to her" Him and Saguru had moved to Beika since it was closer to both a hospital, and the police station there. Not to mention that living closer to Ai was important since the young scientist was Kaito's main doctor of sorts. Both Aoko and Akako still lived in Edoka, though instead of Aoko's house, they lived in Akako's mansion. The red witch couldn't just leave her family home, it's magical history was important to her.

Saguru smiled softly "Yes, she did mention that" He handed Kaito the packed meat since the other was already in the fridge "You really should talk to her more often"

Kaito swiftly accepted the meat, placing it beside the rice "It's not like I mean to ignore her" Though that didn't stop him from feeling a bit guilty for neglecting his friend. He closed the fridge, turning towards Saguru "So what day are we going over?" Just like with Shinichi, they also went over and had dinner with Aoko and Akako off and on "Or are they coming here?" He wouldn't mind seeing his female friends, even if one of them was still a bit creepy.

"We're going there since Koizumi-chan wants to talk to you about something" The blond couldn't help but smirk at Kaito's sudden grimace "Aoko assured me that Koizumi-chan isn't mad at you" Gold gleamed "And that she has no plans on turning you into an actual bird again" It'd been amusing to see a magpie Kaito angrily chirp at the witch.

The magician scowled at the memory "Magpies don't even steal shiny things"

"I know Dove" Saguru was smiling "But it's a well known myth" Kaito pouted at the response since it was the truth. The two continued chatting for a bit longer before settling things for the night and heading off to bed, both males had early shifts.

The next day, Shinichi's physical appearance came as a surprise to the blond. The sleuth was standing near the coffee maker as usual, but the other was quite pale. Shinichi looked almost anemic with his pale pallor and dark bags under his eyes "What happened?" Saguru inquired as he walked up to the other, concerned. The sleuth had looked perfectly fine when they'd parted ways the other day. Gold narrowed at the bandages peeking out from the other's sleeves.

Tired Azure gleamed, a weary but genuine smile tugging at his lips "My life is weird" He replied, finishing up his cup of coffee before immediately going for another one "But it's fine now" Until the next odd thing happened in his life.

Saguru blinked, despite how bad the other looked, it seemed like Shinichi was in a genuinely good mood "Very well" Shinichi wasn't offering any details so he wouldn't pry "But you should hide the bandages better or just show them" People who didn't know Shinichi could possibly get the wrong idea if it looked like he was trying to be secretive about them.

"Oh" The sleuth winced, placing down his cup to loosen his shirt collar a bit to reveal more bandages by his left shoulder "Better?" He didn't want civilians to question his mental state.

The blond shook his head in exasperation "I don't know how trouble always finds its way to you" He smirked fondly "But to be honest, I'd rather it be you than someone who couldn't do anything to help" He was reluctant to admit it, but Shinichi was the better detective out of the two of them. He'd been really concerned after he'd started to truly see the other often, but had eventually come to the understanding that the sleuth was fine with it since it usually let him save a life or catch a killer.

"Yeah" Azure softened "Kaito was the one to stop me from thinking that it was a bad curse" He took a sip of his fresh beloved coffee "He made me see it as a way to bring justice instead of a punishment" His eyes gleamed "I don't let killers get away if I can help it" Very few criminals had truly gotten away from him.

Saguru laughed, that really was something that Kaito would do "Since yesterday was quite quiet" He paused, eyeing the other "Excluding whatever happened after hours" He amended, Shinichi snorted "I fear that today may not be as peaceful to make up for it"

As if to prove his point, Takagi came running over towards them. Both males shared a smile before draining their respective beverages.

"What are we working on today Takagi-keiji?" Shinichi inquired. Even though they were the same rank and all, habits were hard to break and they were fine with not changing how they called each other.

"A kidnapping" Takagi stated, tone serious.

Saguru nodded "Give us the details on the way" A kidnapping meant that there was a chance to save a life, but also that there was probably a time limit. They shouldn't waste time being idle.

Takagi nodded as he took off, both younger males following after him "Reiko Megumi, age 7 has been kidnapped" He breathed as they headed out of the building "Her mother was found murdered and her father was the one to report it as soon as he returned from work"

Shinichi grit his teeth, a child... Child kidnappings could be tricky "Have there been any demands?" Demands meant that the child was useful, at least for now.

"Not yet" Takagi shook his head "But there hasn't been enough time to really start worrying yet since the murder was confirmed to be shortly before the husband returned from his night shift" It took time to properly hide someone.

Me: This was interesting to write~

Hope you enjoyed~

How many of you understand chapter name? Simple it is

I had the weird idea to try broccoli pancakes... =~= I didn't do it of course, but that was a random thought I had for some reason.