61. Fearful Morning

1025 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written July 11 2021
Posted August 9 2021

Saguru left early the next morning to pick up Fluffy from the vet, not wanting the kitten to be locked up in a cage any longer than she had to be. So that left Yozora basically alone in the house. Technically Shinichi was there, but the sleuth had gone back to bed after eating breakfast. He'd seemed a little better than the previous day, but not by much. Yozora had pretended to not notice the other struggling to just get to the washroom by himself, allowing the sleuth to keep some of his pride intact.

With a sigh, Yozora flipped to the back of her math textbook to check her answers, erasing the ones she'd gotten wrong before attempting them again. It was a pain, the textbook didn't show the steps so it was trial and error for her to find the exact spot where she'd gone wrong with the equations.

Yozora paused in her work, movement outside the window catching her attention. The girl tensed, quickly pulling the curtains closed. There was a pudgy man dressed in nice clothes scaling the fence, or at least trying to scale the fence. Why was someone climbing the fence? Surely if they were a friend, they'd just go to the front door right? Yozora peeked behind the curtain, just in time to see the pudgy man fall flat on his face, but on this side of the fence. Alarmed, Yozora snapped a picture before running upstairs to wake Shinichi.

Shinichi woke with a start at the sensation of being shook "Yozora?!" It wasn't like the other to wake him up rudely.

"There's a man who just climbed the fence" Yozora's words were quick, looking scared as she spoke. She fumbled with her phone a bit before showing the picture that she'd taken.

The sleuth immediately sat up, anger pushing away his tiredness "That bastard" It was that snobby inspector! "Stay in your room, I'll call the police" Minichiro was trespassing, which was illegal. If his dislike for the pudgy man had been mild before, now it was raging strong. The pompous know it all had scared Yozora in the one place that she was supposed to feel safe at!

Yozora nodded before running to her room, closing the door with a little more force than necessary.

Shinichi quickly called Sato and then Saguru before making his way out of the room, anger fuelling his actions. He was not going to let that man enter the house and potentially terrorize Yozora. Thankfully the windows were sturdier than most and the door was locked. That didn't mean that he shouldn't be cautious just in case. He was half tempted to copy one of Kaito's pranks just to get back at the guy!

Somehow managing to make his way down the stairs, Shinichi glared at the door, just as the doorbell started to ring repeatedly in an obnoxious manner. What an ass, Minichiro hadn't even given any time for him to respond to the first ring before spanning the button. The sleuth scowled, pressing the doorbell's off switch that Kaito had installed allowing the ringing to cut short.

He ignored the shouting that started up once the doorbell was no longer an option. He wasn't going to open the door, the idiot might just push past him to do whatever he was up to. The door was also extra sturdy so breaking it down would be near impossible. Shinichi just needed to wait until Minichiro was dragged off in cuffs, and if the pudgy man did somehow manage to get through the door, then he'd just have to stop him himself.

Eventually he heard a scream and then Sato angrily scolding Minichiro. Sato had a gate key, but not a key to the house. Shinichi let out a relieved sigh, legs wobbling as he sank down to the floor.

"Kudo-kun?" Sato called through the door.

"Just a moment!" He really doubted that he'd be able to get up, so he texted Yozora to tell her that it was safe, and to ask if she could unlock the door for him.