28. A Chapter that exists... Possibly

1013 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written October 1 2020
Posted October 19 2020

NEXT UPDATE is November 2 2020

Saguru stifled a yawn as he opened the fridge, pausing when a weird smell hit him. That was odd, he and Kaito were usually pretty good when it came to keeping their fridge clean. He searched around until he found the culprit, it was the wraps that Kaito had made a few weeks ago. Saguru grimaced, gingerly picking up the mold filled ziplock bag by one of it's corners, tossing it into the trash. Even though the outside of the bag was technically clean, he still didn't like touching it. What if he touched it wrong and felt how squishy it was?

Without the sleuth around the station, the amount of work that the blond had to do had increased quite a bit. It had been a blessing in disguise. Having less free time had kept his mind occupied for the most part, making Kaito's absence easier to deal with.

The blond pulled out a plate of rice from the fridge, placing it into the microwave to heat it up. Maybe he should have some strong coffee instead of tea today, he still felt tired. He blinked when the microwave beeped, moving to retrieve his meal.

Gold narrowed as he settled down to eat, suddenly recalling that he'd been told to take the day off today. Maybe he should head in anyways, it wasn't like he could get in trouble for working, yet. From observing Shinichi, he'd learned that it took at least two months of no free days before the department started to hound you. He still had a fair amount of time before he reached that point, so it should be fine. By the time Saguru both finished his meal, and drained his coffee, he heard a knock on the door. He got up to check, noting that it was Nowaki.

Nowaki grinned "I'm going to kidnap you Hakuba"

Saguru pinched his brow, a smile threatening to make its way onto his face. Those words coming from the other weren't really all that concerning "Good morning to you too Kusama" The doctor most likely was aware of Kaito's absence considering their relationship. He stepped to the side, tilting his head towards the opening "I need to clean up a bit first"

"Right" The doctor nodded, accepting the silent offer to enter by removing his shoes and making himself comfortable on the couch "I'm in no rush" The other seemed to have woken up a bit later than usual.

Knowing that Nowaki wouldn't do anything to the house, the blond put his dishes into the sink before heading upstairs to change out of his pyjamas. Now that he was apparently going somewhere with Nowaki, he probably wouldn't be able to head into work today.

While he was waiting, the doctor stretched his arms back, getting rid of some stiffness. It'd been a while since he and Saguru had hung out together due to their schedules, and he'd figured that by now the blond probably started to get bored without Kaito. They weren't best friends or anything, but they got along well enough to consider each other as friends. Since they were friends, he knew that unlike Kaito, the blond's social circle was quite small. Normally that was fine since Kaito was usually around, but he wasn't right now, which meant that the other was bound to become bored or lonely without some outside interference butting in.

"So where are you taking me today Kusama?" Saguru inquired as he reentered the living room, this time wearing a tan button up and some dark brown slacks.

Navy gleamed "That new aquarium that just opened up" He had a pretty good feeling that the other hadn't yet checked it out yet "Then after we can eat at the food court there" Another thing that probably didn't happen often, due to Kaito's fear of fish.

The aquarium? That actually seemed interesting "Shouldn't you be taking your boyfriend instead of me?" Saguru inquired, a gleam in his eyes.

Nowaki smiled "I'm going to take Hiro-san another day after I learn the layout and a ton of information" That way he can impress Hiroki by being able to answer any questions he has.

The blond's lips quirked into a small smile "Of course" He'll send Nowaki's boyfriend a vague message later to prevent any misunderstandings since said boyfriend could be insecure at times. He wouldn't spoil anything, but would say that Nowaki had been helping him.

Meanwhile, Shinichi couldn't help but grimace as he placed a cool rag over Kaito's forehead. The magician wasn't sick, but his head was killing him from using his false eye's recording function for too long. Thankfully it hadn't overheated enough to cause any damage.

"Why didn't I upgrade my eye to prevent overheating before leaving?" Kaito lamented, sprawled across his bed, they'd gotten a two bedroom hotel room "I knew that I'd need to use it" He grit his teeth "And I also knew what happens whenever I use it too much"

The sleuth sighed, pitying his friend "It's not like you use it all that much" Neither he nor Saguru had remembered either. It was much too easy to forget that the magician was actually half blind "At least you get a warning before it becomes too much" That was one good point at least.

Kaito let out an annoyed breath of air "I guess"

Azure gleamed "When we get back, I'm sure Saguru would enjoy helping or at least watch you create a better version" The blond was a closet science geek.

"Yeah, he would" Indigos softened "So long as it's a new eye instead of the one I'm currently using" Saguru probably wouldn't appreciate Kaito taking out his eye prematurely. He let out a relieved sigh when he felt a new cold cloth being put over him.

"Are you able to turn off the natural reactions that make it so real?" Shinichi inquired before frowning "Or would that not do anything to help you recover?" He blinked when the life suddenly seemed to snuff out of the magician's right eye "Oh"

"I didn't even think of that!" Sure he couldn't do that outside of their room, but he could here.

Me: I'm curious to know if any of you remembered that Kaito's false eye could overheat if used too much 0.0

Hope you enjoyed~

I love rechargeable batteries so much >^< at first I was wary since the ones my family had when I was little sucked

But since tech is better now (overcharge protection) its so good~ My 4 batteries have lasted over half a year charged at least every few days... I use them a lot

I just... stared at my pile of mostly used batteries and decided that 'this has to stop'

•3• I also don't have to buy a pack of 38 every month or so... MONEY SAVED!