66. Animals are Cute

1019 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written August 22 2021
Posted September 20 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on October 4 2021

Waking up was a slow thing for Kaito, with no sense of danger, his awareness came back in bits and pieces until his head was mostly clear. The magician sat up, grimacing at how wrung out he felt. Kaito remembered waking up briefly in his backyard before passing out. His good phone was on the nightstand beside him, so he unplugged it then checked the date. Kaito grimaced, it'd been weeks since he'd last been awake- properly that is.

Kaito remembered seeing Shinichi in the background, his main focus had been on Saguru, but he remembered the sleuth being there too. The magician let out a relieved breath, he'd succeeded in saving his friend, and now he was back home.

A familiar cooing made a smile bloom across Kaito's face as he held his arm out just in time for Tsuki to perch on him. The old dove walked along his arm, resting at his shoulder in order to nuzzle his cheek "Tsuki!" Adoration coated the word as he carefully rubbed his face to return the snuggle. He'd missed his beloved bird.

While he was playing and showering Tsuki with affection, a small meow made Kaito turn his attention towards the door. There was a tiny kitten in the doorway! A small giggle escaped Kaito, Saguru had actually gotten a cat like he'd joked about. The kitten's fur looked so sleek and silky, he wanted to pet it!

Getting up from the bed was a bit difficult, but he managed, only stumbling once. Tsuki just flapped her wings for balance, remaining perched on his shoulder "Hi kitty" Kaito cooed, voice soft as he slowly inched his way over towards the kitten. Thankfully the kitten just seemed to narrow her eyes a bit instead of running away "You're so pretty" Kaito cooed as he knelt down and reached a hand out. The kitten's green eyes flashed with something dangerous before she struck. Kaito yelped, quickly tugging his bleeding hand to his chest "A pretty mean kitty" He corrected, pouting as the cuts closed. Kitten claws were deceptively sharp "I will befriend you" Kaito promised before standing back up, he needed to wash his hand.

After cleaning his hand in the washroom, Kaito frowned at it. The kitten's claws had left scars, it'd been a while since he'd unintentionally left scars after healing something. Now he had claw marks that ran across the whole back of his hand

"Oh you're awake"

Kaito turned around, confusion covering his face as he spotted Yozora "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but how are you in Japan?" The girl looked more relaxed than normal "I wasn't conscious and I doubt that Shinichi was conscious enough to bring you here" Without them awake to say anything, he'd thought that the authorities would place her somewhere.

Yozora smiled "Saguru came and got me then brought me here" She was glad that Kaito just seemed understandably confused rather than upset to have her in his house.

Indigos lit up "Okay" If Saguru brought her here, there was a good chance that they might get to keep her! He paused, tapping near his right eye "Please tell me that Saguru was the one to replace my eye"

The girl gave him a weird look "You had two eyes when Shinichi brought you here" Why was Kaito asking about that of all things?

Kaito grimaced, deflating a bit "Shinichi isn't tech savvy enough to do it... That means I have weird government tech in my head. I'd rather have my own tech" Replacing it would be a pain, pulling out his eye was always weird, especially when it was already intact.

"Okay..." This was a weird first conversation to be having "I was actually going to wake you up for dinner"

The magician's stomach rumbled at the mention of food "Food would be nice" Kaito admitted. It would also be a good opportunity to catch up on everything that he'd missed. The two talked a bit as they made their way down to the table.

"You look better than I was expecting you too" Saguru stated when they arrived, gold soft. Kaito looked healthy and just seemed a bit stiff.

Kaito beamed as he met Saguru's gaze, hurrying over to give him a quick peck on the cheek before taking a seat right next to him "Dinner smells great"

Saguru smiled "I wanted it to be extra nutritious for your first meal in a while"

The three talked and ate, catching each other up on things that's been missed and about potential plans for the future. The topics were kept light. They got along well together, and it just felt nice for all parties involved.

"So the mean kitten's name is Fluffy" Kaito confirmed, a little disappointed that Saguru hadn't gotten the cat by himself. Now he wouldn't be able to tease him about it.

Yozora nodded "One day I will snuggle with her"

"Did you get scratched or bitten?" Saguru inquired. Calling Fluffy mean, meant that the tiny kitten had already attacked Kaito.

Kaito splayed out his hand, showing off the impressive claw marks "She clawed me good, I don't know why it scarred though"

"Ah, Akako collected your debt, so try to keep your magic use to a minimum for a few days" Saguru answered. Kaito probably didn't have enough magic to prevent scarring.

"Oh" He was silent for a few moments before shrugging "At least I don't feel as bad as I thought I would when the day came" Akako had made it seem like he'd be bedridden for a long time afterwards.

"First they stole the life from all the plants in the area and gave it to you, then they took your magic" Yozora explained what she knew.

"My roses!" Kaito slumped in his chair "Please tell me that the unplanted seeds were untouched" Breeding his blue roses had taken years to perfect...

"They should be fine, the trees were excluded so the seeds should have been as well" Saguru offered. Trees took many years to grow, they were just not something that could be replaced as easily as grass, especially the old trees.

"I'll help you remove the dead plants from the garden" Yozora offered.

Me: So not even Kaito can get fluffy to warm up to him right away~ 

Comment? ^-^

°^° I love fall, it's my second favorite season after winter. Summer is my enemy and spring passes because it's not as bad as summer

I can't wait to take the perfect picture of something, preferably snowy or icy and turn it into a cross stitch.