Chapter 59: the Different Paths

A/N
I know this is a bit of a long chapter, but I didn't know how to cut it lol

But enjoy!

At first she just stared up at the ceiling, looking dozy and confused at the same time. After a few blinks though, she slowly turned to Naomi and I.

She gazed at Naomi, whose eyes were starting to water again, and gave her a small, weak smile.

But the expression she gave me squeezed my chest tightly: surprise, confusion, pain.

'How are you feeling?' The doctor asked her and she slowly faced him.

She just nodded slightly a few times, not seeming to be able to talk, and the doctor scribbled something on his clipboard. She looked tired from doing just that.

Then the drip, which was replaced with a new one, caught her eyes and they widened from fear.

'It's okay. It contains the iron that you need.' The doctor said reassuringly, but that obviously didn't make her fear go away. 'You can't feel the needle, can you?'

Her reply was a no, but her heart rate was rising and I could see that she as starting to panic.

I gently grabbed her hand and lightly squeezed it. 'It's okay...' I said as soothingly as possible. 'It's okay... you'll feel better afterwards.'

Her scared gaze met mine and she gripped my hand back with the little strength she had. She tried to steady her breath.

'Do you feel any discomfort breathing?' The doctor asked.

She shook her head slowly.

'Or the wound?'

Her expression suggested that it wasn't the best, but not the worst.

'Are you able to talk?'

She took a few deep breaths. 'I... kind... of...'

I gulped down a sob. She sounded weak as ever.

The doctor nodded, once again scribbling down something. 'I'd suggest to avoid talking for a good while until the wound completely heals, okay?'

She nodded in reply, smiling as well.

He then turned to Naomi and I. 'So please try and avoid questions that requires her to verbally reply. We'll also be providing her appropriate diet and medication until she is back to health - it would take a few weeks.'

We both nodded and I looked at Sakura again, but had a heart attack when I saw her eyes were closed.

'It's okay, she's just sleeping.' The doctor said to me gently. 'Severe blood loss leads to tiredness and dizziness, so I assume she'll be taking a solid sleep. Though we will keep in track of her heart rate, breathing rate, iron levels and so on time to time and also on a monitor in a separate room. So do feel free to have a good rest. If you have any questions, please use this phone to the front desk or visit there and at an emergency, press this button.'

'Okay.' Naomi said, sounding more relieved. 'Thank you very much.'

'No worries. Take care.'

With that, he left the room.

I glanced at the clock and it was past midnight.

'Are you going to stay -'

But there was no need to ask anymore. Naomi had already curled up on the couch, fast asleep. I couldn't blame her. Looking around, I found a blanket so I gently spread it over her.