Chapter 19: First Date with Him

It was a cold but sunny Saturday morning on the 13th, the day before Valentine's. Em and I decided to go out to a nearby mall and buy ingredients for the chocolates (yes we're making our own) and collect our gifts from the stores. We had lunch at a cafe and shopped at all of these different stores that had nothing to do with what we actually came for (we still had what we needed, of course) and by the time we realised, it was three o'clock and we rushed back home to make their chocolates.

Both of us nearly skipped dinner if Jackie didn't force us to as we made the chocolates. Em made dozens of little heart shaped ones in white, milk and dark chocolate with decorations on top. I made round milk and dark chocolate truffles with cocoa powder around them. There were few incidents in the kitchen during that time. We had music on for the whole time and I would admit, we completely forgot about the chocolates when our favourite songs came on. Once we finished making them (finally), we put them in boxes that we bought during the day and stored them in the fridge for the night. But when I was putting mine in, my hands were trembling slightly. One was because I was afraid I was going to drop them and two, I was nervous about tomorrow not just because it was Valentine's Day: it was going to be our first proper date.

***

Even though he was picking me up at five, I started to get ready at half past two. I literally pulled out all the clothes I own onto the floor to figure out what to wear for our first date. It wasn't helping when Em had most of her clothes on the floor and the bed.

At quarter to five, the moment I got ready the doorbell rang and I stumbled/ran to the door, competing with Em who just came bursting out from the bathroom. When we yanked opened it at the same time I saw Tom grinning, looking slightly taken aback from the sudden opening of the door. He was wearing black jeans, brown shoes, grey knit jumper (or vest) and a black coat, looking classy. And hot.

'Oh.' Em said simply and turned around to go back inside.

As soon as Em disappeared upstairs, he brought his right hand out that he had behind him, holding out a bunch of red roses.

'Oh Tom,' I said, receiving the roses and hugging him tightly. 'Thank you so much. This is lovely.'

'For your happiness, anything.'

I giggled and pecked him on the cheek.

'What was that?' He frowned playfully.

Raising my eyebrows but smiling at the same time, I went to kiss his cheek, but he cupped my face with his left hand and made sure that our lips met.

He grinned cheekily when we parted.

'Are you ready?'

'Yeah.' I said, smiling. 'Hang on.'

As I sprinted upstairs to grab my bag and my scarf, I heard Jackie call from the kitchen, 'Tom, why don't you come inside my dear? It's cold out there isn't it?'

'Oh - yeah, thanks Jackie.' The door closed and I ran down the stairs with two bags, one with the gift for him in it. I headed straight to the fridge in the kitchen and took out his box of chocolate, carefully storing it in the bag with the gift.

As I put in water in a vase, Alex is was trying to persuade Tom to play PlayStation with him.

'Please Tom, one game -'

'Alex, Tom has to get going, you know that.'

'Yeah but -'

He instantly cut off when he saw his mother's glare.

'I'll verse you another time, I promise.' Tom said at the same time I placed the vase on the counter, deciding to put take it upstairs later.

'Fine.'