55 • Nothing easier

• Chapter 55 

The sun was still rising, the light it threw was a deep, warm orange. It generously covered the white blanket and sheets of the bed Jisung lay in. 

The light reached up to his face and woke him. It felt nice, cosy. 

Running his hand through his hair a few times, he got out of bed and took a few drowsy steps until he reached the door. He pulled it open, took another step. 

Standing in the familiar corridor, Jisung smiled. He let his gaze tumble to the side. It was silent inside the house, it was quiet outside too. The world only slowly began to move again. 

Another day. 

He smiled, turned and walked down the corridor at the end of which stood a door that led into the guest bedroom. That's where he had brought Cho-a to last night - and it's the room she always slept in when she stayed the night. 

Lately, she was the only one using it. Even though she didn't use it too often, Jisung had already made a mental note to always keep it neat and tidy just in case she wanted to stay the night. 

Or two. 

He knocked. It was still early, so he didn't expect a reply. He was just being polite. So, opening the door quietly, he merely wanted to catch a glimpse of her sleeping figure. 

Peeking around the corner, he was expecting to--

The bed was empty. 

Jisung turned around hastily. "Cho-a?" he asked into the empty room, that was left perfectly clean as if the girl had never been there in the first place. 

He quickly turned around and left. He walked down the corridor that lay in silence - no noise around that would hint at Cho-a being there. 

He hurried downstairs, stormed through the entrance room, living room and all the way into the kitchen. 

"Cho-a?!" 

But she wasn't there and he got more and more worried by the second. If she wasn't who she was then he probably wouldn't have been this nervous. Especially after what had happened last night though...

He reached into his pocket, took his phone, called her quickly. 

The first beep sounded on his end of the call. Tapping the kitchen counter nervously, he waited. 

Huh? 

A melody danced into the room Jisung stood in. It made him frown. 

Leaving the kitchen, he walked back into the living room. On the coffee table in the middle of the room blinked Cho-a's phone brightly. It rang pointlessly as if someone would pick up any time soon. 

Jisung inhaled sharply through his teeth, buried a hand in his hair. 

"Idiot," he mumbled as if she could hear him. He took a deep breath, pretended it calmed him down. "Where'd she go?" 

He didn't expect an answer, but he wanted one. 

He was nervous and worried and he really wanted to see her right now. 

He didn't expect to, but he wanted to regardless. 

He really--

Click

The front door clicked open, letting cool air into the house as Cho-a stepped inside. She carried a bag over her shoulder, keys clinking between her fingers before she put them back onto the shelf next to the door.