31 • Courage

i'm here to further push my king jisung agenda,, look at him

Chapter 31 •

Jisung kept looking around, turning, spacing out to places further away. 

Renjun side-eyed the boy as his gaze kept wandering. He seemed all over the place and the older one knew why, however-

"It's unlikely." He said it out of the blue into the silence between the two. He ignored how abrupt it was and how odd it sounded. 

Jisung turned to him. "What?" 

Thinking about it, the two hadn't talked about it yet. Renjun knew about Cho-a. Jisung knew. Neither of them had brought it up to each other before though. However, Renjun was certain that the younger one had it figured out. 

He became suspicious when Jisung hid Cho-a at his place but it became obvious when he suddenly lost interest in finding out who or what she was. 

"That she will teleport," Renjun said further at which Jisung remained terribly calm. "Isn't that why you keep looking around and going back to places you have already been to and looked at?" 

Perplexed, he averted his eyes, shrugged. "I was just thinking..." and his voice drifted off into the pointlessness of his hope. 

Spotting the younger one's concern was easy - for everyone but especially Renjun. So he tried to be gentle. 

"She has barely any experience, you know how tricky it can be," he reasoned. "Especially if you don't know the place you are going to or coming from. It's too risky; she'll feel the same way." 

Unsatisfied with his reply, Jisung just nodded wordlessly. He stared into the distance. They had been to place after place. The night was slowly coming to an end, approaching Sunday morning with a feeling of dread. 

"She doesn't use her powers?" Jisung then asked out of curiosity. "Or can't she?" 

For a second Renjun questioned it himself as if he forgot. He hadn't thought about how she dealt with it all in a long time. After all, it became normal for him. He treated her like he treated Jaemin and Jeno just with some modifications. 

Considering his answer for a moment, he soon shook his head. 
"It's not that she can't, it's that she chooses not to," he explained. 

Renjun wasn't looking at the younger one - he was busy recalling memories. Memories that weren't particularly happy, rather dreadful and scary and sombre. A hunch of desperation and a feeling of being lost. 

And within them were they; two kids that didn't know what was going on. Too young to understand life, too old to ignore it. 

It was a long story with a short explanation, thought Renjun. He merely had trouble finding the right words. 

"Before Kun was looking after us, we stayed with Cho-a's uncle. He was an ordinary man but he was good to us nevertheless. She knew she might cause him or others trouble if she attracted unnecessary attention so she promised to pretend to be as ordinary as she could be. She didn't use her powers since then until..." his sentence ended, incomplete with his words fading into a flat exhale. 

Looking to his side, Renjun eyed Jisung briefly at which the younger one reacted quickly. 

"You aren't blaming me, are you?" Jisung questioned astonished by the other's tone. He had his eyes narrowed, watched with disbelief. "You are acting as if it's bad that she used them. Nothing happened." 

"That's not what I was saying," Renjun defended quickly, weary of Jisung's temper and nervosity. "She just never liked that side of her because of what happened."