68 • All

Chapter 68 

Somewhere between the living and the dead was a place. Not quite heaven, not quite hell. Something that was more of a combination of the two - something like earth.

It was the place that Jisung ruled, the place where his people stayed from time to time, although they often spent their time around humans. It wasn't because of that, though, that life here and there was almost the same.

Regardless, considering all the similarities there was something else that earth and this place had in common: Prisons. 

Jisung walked up to the door that was made out of firm steel. Simple-looking. A little outdated maybe. Yet it served its purpose. 

Calmly, hands inside the pockets of his trousers, Jisung came to a halt in front of the door. He waited as he watched the figure on the other side. She sat on the cold ground, back and head resting against the wall behind her. 

It was exhausting just to have to look up at the boys that glared at her from outside. She was too lazy to even pretend like this didn't bother her but she still managed to draw a mocking smirk onto her lips as if it was even worth it. 

She looked at Jisung first, then glimpsed at Chenle who stood to Jisung's right, meanwhile Taemin stood to his left. 

"See?" Hyun-joo muttered. "I told that girl that you'd be fine." 

Chenle pushed out an empty huff. He rolled his eyes but didn't say anything in return - it really wasn't worth wasting his breath for. 

Upon the lack of reaction, Hyun-joo sighed. She looked frustrated. 

"Why am I here?" she asked. 

Jisung frowned. "This is a prison, you committed misconduct. I'm sure you can figure it out." 

"Shouldn't I be dead?" She was genuinely surprised. "Isn't it what that girl wanted to do?" 

Jisung looked up. He hummed to himself. From Hyun-joo's point of view it might have seemed like that was her goal but...

"Wouldn't that be too easy?" he asked. 

"What?" She laughed. "So what are you planning to do? Keeping me locked up in here? I will get out of here faster than you think." 

Jisung shrugged. "Sure, go ahead. Good luck." Taemin raised a brow at his nonchalance, amused smirk on his lips. Chenle merely watched wordlessly.

It was quiet after that. The youngest drew his eyes up and down the woman's slumped figure. Pale skin, glassy eyes. She looked like she was feeling unwell. 

"I'm curious what your plans will be when you get out anyway," he admitted. "Because it's not like you can do anything now." 

He was bluffing. He didn't know yet whether or not their plan worked. Maybe Hyun-joo was feeling better than she looked like. Maybe she was going to recover soon. 

But somehow he was confident enough in Cho-a's skills to take the risk and pretend.  

Hyun-joo, on the other hand, felt uneasy. She hesitated, didn't move, didn't look away. She looked calm but her body was tense. 

She raised a brow, tried to dismiss it by saying that, "If you are talking about not being able to teleport the--" 

Jisung cut her off. "That's obvious anyway. If you were able to do that, you wouldn't be sitting here," he noted. "But teleporting - that's the only thing this place prevents you from doing."