5 • King

• Chapter 5 •

"Why is she even here?" Jisung asked as he leaned back in his chair.

Head tumbling back, Cho-a looked at the boy who glared at her from across the room.

"Not surprised that you have no friends except for these five with that attitude of yours," she judged, eyes raking over the boy's resting figure.

Pressing out a shallow laugh, Jisung raised a brow.
"I am sure going to listen to your opinion, Miss Out Of This World," he retorted lazily, sarcasm clearly lacing through his words. 

Rolling her eyes, Cho-a turned back towards Haechan and focused back on her studies. She got engulfed by Haechan's soothing voice as he explained one problem after the other. 

However, mids concentrating and trying to focus on her tutor's words, she couldn't quite ignore the burning feeling at the back of her skull. 

Figuring it was Jisung at first, she turned around harshly and ready to throw the next best sarcastic comment at him only to realize that said boy had his eyes closed, mind drifting off as he was about to fall asleep. 

Confused, she looked to the side where she spotted Jaemin on the sofa behind her, phone in his hands but eyes on the girl.

"What?"

He didn't seem taken aback by the fact that Cho-a caught him staring at her. Instead, he sat up straight and leaned in closer.

"You just seem familiar," he breathed as he inspected her face, his gaze getting stuck on her eyes.

"Can't be," Jisung replied drily with his eyes closed. "Cho-a is out of this wo-" 

"Just shut up, grim reaper." 

"Make me, darling," he retorted daringly. 

Cho-a took a deep breath before searching for Renjun's eyes who lay on her warningly.
"Next time you tell Kun about what I've been doing make sure you mention my patience." 

"If I feel like it," Renjun shrugged, then looked away after motioning Cho-a to focus on her studies again.

Scrunching her nose at him, she turned back towards Haechan who was waiting patiently for them to get back to work. 

A couple of minutes passed with Haechan and Cho-a working diligently and the others doing more or less nothing at all before Chenle stormed into the living room.

He stood proudly and grinned.
"So I made food-"

"Hell no," Haechan said, eyes jumping from the book in front of him to the younger boy, who frowned right away. 

"I really can't do with your negativity," Chenle said. "I did a good job this time," he defended himself but his dirty clothes and the slightly burnt smell that creeped out of the kitchen weren't very convincing. 

Haechan nodded lazily, massaging his temple with the heel of his hand.
"I'm sure you did." 

Amused by her friend's exhaustion and Chenle's overall excitement Cho-a forgot for a second that, "You don't have to eat though." 

The older one quickly nodded.
"But I like food so~" he explained happily, smiling to himself. "And Jaemin and Jeno have to eat." 

"Right," Cho-a agreed, then looked at the two boys in question who made no move to get up at all. 

She raised a brow and watched them in confusion. They hesitated. 

Might have been the smell. 

Was there a fire? 

Since it was quiet around, it was Cho-a who was the first to speak. 
"Let's go have dinner then," she noted as she got up. 

Turning around, the first pair of eyes hers met were surprisingly enough Jisung's. He was looking up at her, annoyed and bothered. 

Inspecting the tired-looking boy, Cho-a leaned her head to the side. 
"Why are you glaring at me as if you wanted to kill me-" She cut herself off, then let out a soft oh. "Yeah, right. I forgot." 

Raising a brow at her he nodded subtly, his eyes never leaving hers. 

"Can you do that though? Don't you guys have a boss or something that makes sure you don't just roam around and do whatever you want," she asked almost innocently. 

She wasn't unfamiliar with grim reapers, with their world and everything in between. But she wasn't in too deep either. She kept her distance - if not because of her own will then for Renjun at least. 

Jisung kept staring at her, expression barely changing. From behind the girl, Jeno exhaled in surprise. 

"You don't know?" he asked. Cho-a just looked at him and shrugged. "There is someone that makes and enforces rules. Someone that is more powerful than the rest of us." 

By the way Jeno said that, the girl was quick to connect the dots. Turning yet again, her gaze got stuck on the young boy sitting across her.

He stared up at her as she looked down at him. Considering how relaxed he seemed, considering that soft and barely noticeable smirk on his lips-

"Don't tell me it's you." The girl eyed Renjun for a moment who gave her a warning look yet again. But she dismissed it. "You made a kid the king of death?" 

It was quiet for a second before Jisung nodded. 
"That's one way to put it," he said, getting up and taking a step towards the girl. "Scared?"

Cho-a raised a brow at his cocky remark, then stepped closer. 
"A king can be dethroned," she breathed out simply, smiling innocently. "This only makes it more interesting now." 

• King •

fancy