33 • Doc

Chapter 33 •

From the small entrance hall lead a big, archway-like opening into the spacious living room. That's where Jisung stood and waited, back pressed against the cold wall behind him. 

The rooms around him lay in silence. 

Upstairs, in a spare bedroom, were Doyoung and Ten who were taking care of Cho-a. 

Downstairs, in the living room, sat and stood seven boys in exhaustion. No one had slept. No one was talking. The air was getting stale. 

Opposite Jisung stood Kun. He looked worried - not only for Cho-a but everyone there. Whilst Jisung's gaze hovered somewhere above the oldest, Kun had his stuck on the younger one. 

He inspected the boy. "You didn't sleep since I left, did you?" 

"Is it obvious?" 

"You look pretty..." he paused for a moment, trying to find the right words, "dead." 

Jisung chuckled, amused by his honesty or maybe more by the way he spoke so light-hearted when no one else even dared to talk at all. He leaned his head against the wall behind him.
"You really know how to build people up, huh?" 

Kun shrugged as if it was no big deal, yet his gesture and posture and facial expression were dripping with sarcasm. Soon enough his eyes jumped over to Renjun. 

"There's blood on his shirt," Kun pointed out. 

Jisung hummed, gave it a quick check, then looked away. "It's not his."

Though it was meant to sound reassuring, it barely did. Jisung sighed deeply, the air that filled his lungs felt heavy, uncomfortable, empty. 

"I figured," Kun said and let his words float off into the quiet room where they died down quickly. 

However, from within that calmness, silence and wordless tension, the barely sounding sound of footsteps could be heard. It made everyone look at the entrance, where Doyoung and Ten soon stepped past Jisung and Kun into the living room. 

Doyoung ran a hand through his hair as he let his gaze brush over the boys briefly. He saw the worry and felt the heavy feeling. 

"You guys look like someone died," Doyoung noted through a heavy frown. Then he sighed, expression lighter. "She will be fine." 

A second of silence, a deep inhale from here and there. The worry didn't quite disappear but it was less noticeable in the relieve they felt. 

"Obviously though, she should rest for a bit. She has a concussion, lost quite a bit of blood. A few bruises here and there," Doyoung added. "If she takes it slow, she'll be better soon though."

Unanimous nodding alongside a few acknowledging hums filled the room. Then it somehow grew silent again. 

Though relieved, the boys felt bad about what happened. It felt like it was their fault when it really wasn't. 

Just a glance and Doyoung understood the mood in the room. He understood what the look in the boys' eyes was all about. Poking his tongue against the inside of his cheek thoughtfully, he then let out an exaggerated sigh.  

"I have to admit though," Doyoung said amusedly. "She fits in well with the rest of you idiots-" 

"Whom are you calling an idiot?" a hoarse voice responded quickly. It was followed by the quiet footsteps that made their way downstairs rather slowly. 

Cho-a clung onto the railing, eyes squinted a little at the rather bright light inside the room. Her head hurt, her legs felt wobbly and weak. 

Glassy eyes, skin still pale. When Doyoung saw her, he huffed.
"What about me telling you to stay in bed?"