67 • Consideration

it's just a picture, they said
it can't hurt you, they said

• Chapter 67 

"All Hyun-joo ever wanted was the throne. She won't give up, even if it costs her her life," Jisung said.

"If that's what she wants," Cho-a began and nodded to herself. "Then I'll just have to kill her."

Chenle remembered her saying that. He remembered it as if he had stood at Jisung's place that day instead of merely coincidentally overhearing that part of their conversation. 

He remembered the words she chose to say it and he remembered her voice when she said it. She didn't sound cold or threatening. If at all, she spoke it so warmly and with so much confidence and reassurance that it almost made him uncomfortable.

He remembered getting goosebumps yet not quite understanding why he got them - until he realized why it sounded so weird to hear. 

It sounded weird to him because it felt wrong. 

Chenle let his gaze run through the living room. All the boys had gathered here just to give him an opportunity to properly explain what was going on. 

Jisung stood next to the chair Ten sat in, opposite Chenle. The rest of the boys shared the space on the sofa. Kun and Taemin were watching from the side. 

"I thought it's very likely," Chenle said with confidence and laid his eyes on Jisung. 

He was sure he wouldn't misunderstand his intentions behind what he was going to say next. He merely wanted to make it clear that, 

"With the right motivation, she would be willing to do something she might regret."

Jisung held Chenle's gaze. He clenched his jaw, as his words echoed in his mind. 

But he couldn't help but agree. 

If Cho-a had killed anyone, even someone as despicable as Hyun-joo, she would have felt bad about it. Quite frankly, Jisung hadn't given it much thought back then, but Chenle was right. 

"You can call it deceiving or egoistic. Maybe I am stepping out of line when I claim to know how she feels." The confidence that resonated in his voice didn't fit the words he used. "But I'm certain that she would have regretted it if she killed her. So I stand by my decision."

And even though he said it so confidently, the only reason why he felt the need to justify himself in the first place was because he felt unsure and insecure about what had happened. 

His confidence was just as real as it was fake. 

Chenle turned his head to look at her. "Do you really want to kill her though?"

"You heard that?" she asked in surprise as she let her head tumble to the side, quickly meeting his gaze.

"Mhm," he confirmed with a hum. "You seemed really determined. Would you really do it?"

Cho-a wasn't quite sure. She didn't know what she would do in the worst-case scenario.

She nodded though. "Probably."

"Okay." Chenle looked away. He focused on the void before him, thinking about something. And suddenly, he smiled. He seemed excited, his cheerful nature shining through. "I have an idea."

Although intrigued, Cho-a was also hesitant. It was something about the way he talked that made her worry about just where exactly his mind was going.