Chapter 4; The palace is cold

Leona Collins' POV

During lunch break I was accompanied by Lynda. I learned that she has been working here since she was fourteen. But I still don't know her age and can only guess that she has been working here for a very long time.

"Lynda you're here! Oh, and you're the newbie from yesterday right?"

Another cheerful girl rushed towards Lynda and hugged her then asked me. I don't think I saw her in our quarter yesterday but then again, there were many unknown faces which I still don't know.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Leona" I politely greeted with a slight bow to show some respect. She's obviously older than me, maybe even older than Lynda herself.

"I'm Emma. Sorry for ignoring you yesterday. So you work close to Lynda?"

"Yes"

"Where did you come from?"

"Eskar city"

"O-oh, I see"

With the mention of Eskar, her expression changed dramatically. I don't know what do outsiders think of Eskar but I know it's nothing good.

Eskar isn't that big city. It's only divided into four districts. All the three district are mainly made of slums and poor commoner such as myself. The other one is for Nobles but they mostly try to avoid entering the city. It's a place full of dirt, inns, gamblers and beggars. Those who're not knowledgeable enough about the city can lose all of their money within just five minutes after entering.

Nonetheless I grew up there and am quite famous thanks to my father so no one dared to approach me until now. Dirty or not that place is still my hometown. I can proudly mention where I belong in front of anyone.

"Emma, that's quite rude of you. Let's find ourselves a place to sit. The break time is almost over"

Although Lynda said that, Emma looked like she has absolutely no interest in sitting with me. However it'll be rude if I were to sit somewhere. Without any choice I sat next to Lynda with my tray of food, trying to distance myself from the other girl.

From the time I entered here, I decided not to engage myself with as many people as I used to with an exception of Ashley. It's simply not necessary to act friendly in a place like this so I don't mind distancing myself from these two too.

The awkward lunch break finally ended and I had to go back to my work. I was so busy trying to finish my work before 9pm that I didn't notice bunch of woman standing behind me.

So they're the famous senior maids huh..

Unlike other maids, senior maids are allowed to live in separate rooms, wear simple jewels like earrings and order the other maids around. Their duty is to make sure other servants are doing their work properly.

Or else you'll face a very hard punishment.

"Good evening, madams. I apologize for-..."

Slap!

My words have been cut off by the large palm of one of the woman. To say it hurts is an understatement. My head feels like splitting into half and my left ear is ringing.

"How dare you not greet us? It's your first day of work and you're already acting disrespectful towards us, seniors?"

It's my first day of work and that's why I didn't know I was supposed to greet you like how I greet nobles.

Despite the fact that it's not really my fault, I stood still and patiently took her scolding as if nothing happened, as if I was deaf. Nonetheless even a deaf person can hear her loud voice that sounds like a bark.