Chapter 22. Did I fail?

Leona Collins' POV

"Leona what're you doing? Hurry up and take my hand. It's an order" the emperor said again, now in more warning tone.

I just stood there, staring at him in disbelief.

Is he drunk? But I was with him all day and didn't see him drinking anything other than tea. Or is he perhaps still holding grudge against me for delaying his dinner yesterday? Even though he said it was fine?

"Leona. I won't tell you twice. Come here now"

Without any choice, I hesitantly grabbed his hands which he pulled me up towards the beast's back.

Yes, I'm sitting with the emperor on his pet aka the Dark Lion's back which tried to kill me few weeks ago.

I can feel the curious stares of the knights behind me but in the presence of the tyrant emperor no one dared to say anything including myself.

"Your heart is beating so fast"

Yeah, it's because I'm trying to create a distance between us and you're not helping at all. I'm also worrying about the rumors that will spread as soon as we return.

I know the emperor takes his pet lion with him whenever he goes on a hunt but I didn't know it was possible to ride the beast. Well, compared to horses, it's more efficient to ride a quick and terrifying beast on a hunt as it ensures that there'd be no assassination attempt.

Though it's stupid of those people to fear the beast instead of the man who tamed it.

"Tell me, what were you going to do if I didn't offer you a ride?"

I felt the back of my hair stood when he whispered into my ears.

"I— I was just uhh.. going to ride a horse I guess?"

What else did he expect me to ride?

"You're acting very nervous today. It's almost cute"

Oh, god please help me.

When a man with such handsome appearance tells you you're cute in your ears, there'd be no woman who wouldn't blush or be nervous.

"Where did you learn to ride a horse?"

It was rare to see him striking a conversation like this publicly.

"At work"

"There's not a single thing you can't do huh?. Janet really left me an amazing personal maid"

I almost added 'temporary' in his sentence but stopped in fear of being forced to becoming the real one. Currently this man is very curious about me for some reason. If I stay as the same boring emotionless girl, I'm sure he'll allow me to resign in the future.

"Say, can you fight?"

"..!!.."

Jesus Christ! Stop whispering into my ear!

"A-Ah..umm.. Of course not. I'm nothing but a mere servant girl after all. Then if his majesty will excuse me, I'd like to get off—"