Chapter 11; Unwanted promotion

Leona Collins' POV

"Promotion? Well, you can call it that since you'll be the next head maid"

My jaws literally dropped.

It was the most shocking event I've ever experienced in my entire life. Until now because of the cliche scenes, I can somehow guess what's going to happen. However I totally didn't expect myself to become a head maid after working in this castle for only over half a month.

"I'm not sure if you're joking or not Ms. Janet. Nonetheless I don't think I'm worthy of such an important position"

I collected myself and refused firmly to make things clear.

At first I considered Ms. Janet as a coward who'd hide behind others to avoid the emperor because for some reason she always appoint the newbies as his personal servant.

But turns out she's the one who spends most of her time with him.

She has to wake him up, check his breakfast, lunch and dinner personally before sending it through other maids, order his suits from the tailor, welcome the guests, organize a banquet, keep the servants in check and so many other things to do. Most of them involve the emperor and she spends as much time as his aide, even more than his personal maids with him.

Although taking care of the affairs of the palace is the queen's or princess' duty, there's not a single royal family member aside from his highness yet, not even a concubine. Thus the heavy responsibility befalls on the head maid and the butler.

That scary, powerful but tiresome position was suddenly being pushed onto me, who just barely even got a training of two week.

"I'm afraid you don't have choice in this matter. You're going to be officially promoted as the new head maid tomorrow. Ms. Janet will retire due to her poor health condition. She chose you as her successor, Leona Collins"

There're so many things that's just not making sense right now. And I'm going to exactly point out every single details regardless of rules and punishments.

"You must be joking, Ms. Hannah. First of all my origin is from rather vulgar place. I could be a spy planted in the palace to harm his highness and on top of that, people like me can be easily blinded by money and fame. Secondly, I'm too young and inexperienced. There're many other maids and senior maids who're better suited for this position. What'd they think if a stranger suddenly snatch away their long awaited dream? I suggest you to rethink about your decision, Ms. Janet"

I was being very reasonable right now, hoping they'd think deeply about it. Heck, I bet even Emma or Lynda will do a better job than me as they also worked here for quite long time. Aside from those two, there're also many who's incredible at their job that I don't know of.

Then Ms. Janet who has been quiet for some time spoke, her voice turning colder and demanding.

"If you're being like this, then I'll also be blunt, Leona. I chose you not because you're special or anything. It's because you can read"

My eyes widened in surprise. Is she serious? Then how? Did I make a mistake unconsciously?

"You don't have to be surprised. Mr. Russell told me that you learned how to read from him.  If you refuse the position then I'll report you for disobeying the laws. However if you agree then I can get treatment for your mother at the capital. I'll also tell others that I personally trained you from a young age to inherit my position"

Russell is Ernest's last name.

Considering how this woman knows about my background very well, that bastard has sold me and my mother out huh? He exactly knows the fate of a commoner that can read if they ever get caught. But he went and stupidly tell these woman about that? Does he want to get punished for teaching me too?
How f*cking funny. Is it a payment for all those times he helped me? If that's the case then I wouldn't have asked for help from him in the first place.