Chapter 13; Serving his majesty (1)

Leona Collins' POV

"__As you all know, Ms. Janet has left the palace to get herself treated at the hospital yesterday. Until she returns, Leona Collins here will replace her. Be sure to properly do your duties"

"Yes, sir"

The introduction was rather short. While Mr. Oscar was giving them lecture about some other things, I was just standing beside him, dressed up in my new uniform like a doll going to a funeral with sleepy eyes, trying to keep my smiling face.

Spotting Ashley and Vera from the long line of servants, I smiled even more. They were looking at me without even blinking an eye as if they had seen a ghost.

The new uniform was rather comfortable but fancy looking. I don't really like the color black but this pair of dress and jacket makes me look really good. Not to mention it wasn't that oversized too.

Thus the announcement ended without me saying a single word to the other maids. This old man was obviously trying to make me appear as powerless.

I noticed the two girls who were trying to reach me but had to leave along with others due to our difference in status. Anywat it's almost 7am meaning I've to serve the emperor.

I hope I don't make a stupid mistake and die.

Come to think of it what about this old man? He's the head butler so don't he have to serve him too?

"What're you looking at? It's almost 7am. Get going"

Yeah, he's really not going to serve him. To him, staying back and scolding servants is his main job.

Poor Ms. Janet. No wonder she fell ill. This unnecessary colleague of hers is just a waste of time and air.

As much as I hate to be scolded by him, I had to go. When I got to the kitchen, Ashley and Vera were waiting for me.

"Leona.. no, I mean Ms. Leona or is it Ms. Collins? Why did you so suddenly-.."

"It's Ms. Leona in public and Leona in private. And if you're wondering why I was appointed as the head maid so suddenly, I'm Ms. Janet's distant relative. Sorry for not telling you as it was Ms. Janet's suggestion to hide my identity"

Because Ashley was taking decades to finish her question, I explained, more like lied everything as fast as I can to hurry to the emperor's chamber.

I checked the food for any poison and things the emperor is allergic to such as nuts before handing it over to the other two and started walking.

However the questions weren't over.

"Why didn't you tell us? You could've at least met us yesterday" says the person who ran away from me.

"She's right. I thought we were friends! I was worried sick about you" says the person who always makes me worry about her.

Seriously why did I decide to hang out with them again? Right, it's because I wanted to be friends with a protagonist who might get extremely rich in the future. The other one is simply because she looked like that unlucky side villain who fails on seducing the male lead then get bewitched by the protagonist and become friends.

However the one turned out to be a crybaby and the other is a spy.

Just my luck.

"I also didn't know until yesterday and was busy studying. Now if you two don't focus, the emperor might slice you in half along with the newly appointed young beautiful head maid"