Chapter 29; Strange punishment

<<Duchy of Rowthorn>>

The family of crazy maniacs that has been scheming for the throne for the last few decades.

Due to the former emperor's stupidity, they've gained quite a lot influence and is involved with lots of crimes. However when Chris was prince, he took control of all the illegal businesses whilst hiding his identity. As the saying goes, enemies enemy is a friend, Chris joined hands with Rowthorn's biggest enemy, Marquess Hillier and proceeded to throughly destroy everything that belongs to Rowthorns.

But they were still alive and powerful because of their intelligent individuals and escaped to a different kingdom.

Marshall Rowthorn, Leona's biological father was also one of them.

A well known genius eldest son of the family and youngest warlock known in history, was about to inherit the Duke title until a tragedy strike.

During his time in battlefield he met a monster that couldn't be defeated no matter what. Though he managed to survive, the injuries he received was too severe that he lost his magic ability. As a result he was banished by his family.

But the man was too caught up in his former glory that he refused to give up. Even if he lost his magic, his child can still inherit his powers. After searching for couple of years, he found Maribel, the illegitimate daughter of a noble family. He married her only for the sake of her bloodline but unfortunately Maribel's body was too weak to give birth to more than one child and the one she gave birth to was an useless girl who has no magic power or whatsoever.

It was hard for someone like him who was banished to the city of peasants (Eskar) to find another person with noble blood. Thus his plan to return to Rowthorn or hunt the beast <Dark Lion> for revenge failed. In hopes of Leona suddenly developing powers, he trained her but there was still no success even after nine years.

So all of his anger turned to Maribel, who was incapable of bearing another child.

Whenever Leona couldn't keep up with the training, Marshall punished her mother for it. The repeated violence continued. Only times the pair of mother and daughter were happy is when Marshall's little brother, Ronan visited.

He gave them pretty clothes and delicious food but after few years, Leona realized that the way he looks at her mother was bit different.

The 9 year-old girl only knows about love between man and woman from the fairy tales her mother read her during her father's absence. Those books were only bright things in her life, a cool strong knight, beautiful  princess and a villain. She liked imagining her life as a book, her mom was the princess that was tormented by the villain and uncle Ronan could be a possible candidate of a knight in shining armor.

So what was she? She was just an observer, or more like a reader.

It was because she could only watch her mother being beaten. Just like how a reader can't change the contents of the book, she also couldn't do anything to stop the villain.

But Leona desperately wanted the knight and a princess to end up together.

According to her father's teaching, one must use anything necessary to reach their goal. Leona knew she and her mother would die in her father's hands in few years if she doesn't awaken her magic. So she decided to appear as pitiful as possible and get on her father's nerves more, just to receive Ronan's protection.

After all, knights are supposed to have strong sense of justice and save the princess.

"Uncle, please stop him! At this rate he's really gonna kill mom!"