Chapter 21; Slip of a tongue

"Leona, I've something to talk to you"

Hearing him say that doesn't feel right.

My cowardly uncle looked pretty determined. Seeing such a person putting on a facade of honest and powerful knight pissed me off.

It can't be helped. I really can't cover my hatred towards him with my nonchalant attitude anymore.

"Please hurry. I'm about to head to work right now"

If it wasn't for him blocking the stairs, I'd have simply ignored him.

"Wait, why're you wearing a blindfold?" He asked, seemingly confused. I thought he'd already knew as the entire castle has been gossiping about my new unique appearance and the reason why the emperor made me wear it.

"It's none of your business"

However I didn't feel like explaining him such trivial matters. It's not like we're close or anything. Only thing that connects us is our blood and secret incident of that day.

"Sigh.. Fine. What I wanted to talk is umm.. I know you probably won't agree but can I see Maribel just one more time?"

(A/n: If in case you forgot, that's her mother's name)

What the hell?

After all that, he's requesting to see her whilst making such pathetic expression?

It disgusted me to the core, seeing how he was making such guilty expression with face similar to father's.

"You're right, Captain Milton. I absolutely won't let you see her, not even over my dead body. Because she's dead"

If he's going to act like a glue then I'll do everything to make him disappear from mother's life. Spitting one or two lies will solve this problem easily.

Unexpectedly, he frowned and shouted in panick.
"You said she was doing fine when we first met!"

"I never said she's still alive. I only told you that I didn't do anything to her"

"As expected! You're definitely involved in her death..!"

I literally told him I didn't do anything yet he's still accusing me.

"Don't be stupid, Ronan Rowthorn. She passed away due to sickness and starvation. Unlike you, I was beside her until the end. And if you try to mention her with that hole on your face-.." I walked closer to her and said in a low tone. "I'll reveal your deceased brother's identity to the emperor"

His body stiffened up, as if he was outside shivering from the cold. Perhaps it's because I mentioned his real name or because I threatened his life or both.

Only at this moment I felt grateful resembling my father's face. I'm even capable of scaring man much larger than me with just one look.

"That threat won't work. You're also related to him. They won't let you off too"

It seems like he's trying to make excuses to make himself feel less threatened.

"There's no proof that he has a daughter. And even if it's revealed that I'm his daughter, I don't have magic. And even then if I were to be executed for being that man's daughter, I don't mind it. After all I've no attachment to the world. But it seems like that isn't the case for the current Captain of the Royal knights. Therefore if you value your life, continue to pretend like an outsider just like how you did for the last fifteen years"

Those who've nothing to lose are the scariest. Though if he were to do something, I won't be able to report him to the emperor because as he mentioned before, I might get killed as well.