Chapter 27; CHRIStIAN

Narrator's POV

Twenty five years ago, the former emperor took in his 6th concubine from Elven kingdom.

The woman was said to be as beautiful as a goddess with her dazzling silver hair, crimson eyes and pointy ears that indicates she's from an elf race.

Eleanor Greenwood, who was only 22 years old married a man that was twice her age. She was the only daughter of the village head. The emperor who was traveling nearby claimed that he has fallen in love with her at first sight, threatened to engage their entire kingdom in a war if she didn't marry him.

For elves who loves nature, war was something they absolutely detested. Thus for the sake of million lives that'd be wasted during the war, Eleanor was sacrificed.

After a year of entering the emperor's harem, she became pregnant. The other concubines and the empress who was alarmed by that tried to harm her on various ways but always failed as Eleanor was born in a country where woman has a right to wield a weapon and was trained from young age.

From the beginning until the end, she was all alone in the foreign country's cold castle. The only thing kept her going was the child in her womb.

When she finally gave birth, she was absolutely horrified.

Because she not only gave birth to a boy, but it was twins.

If it was back in her village, she'd be more than happy to give birth to several child. But in human kingdoms, giving birth to twin princes means they'll be battling each other for the throne.

Eleanor didn't want his children to fight each other. She wanted to let them live freely. But in order to survive they need the throne no matter what.

From that day on, the sixth concubine changed. She no longer let herself bullied by the other concubines and the empress anymore. She collected her own little fraction and tried to earn the emperor's favor desperately, only for the sake of helping his son succeed the throne.

In public there was only one prince named Christian. But in the Emerald palace, they were separated into Chris and Ian.

The two boys took turns in taking classes and shared one portion of food. Aside from Eleanor, no one, not even the servants know about the twins. Those who witnessed Eleanor's birth process has already met death by her hands.

When the twins turned 12, Eleanor passed away.

It was because the Empress was regularly feeding her poison through her personal maid. No matter how much she tried to win the Emperor's favor, Eleanor who was originally from foreign kingdom couldn't gain the noble's support.

[Survive]

That was her dying wish.

And the twins did as she wanted. They did everything to survive regardless of the method.

Out of the two Chris was always the mature one.

"Ian, you've to do it if you want to live"

"But brother he's just a..."

"If you can't kill him today then he might become a threat tomorrow. Are you still not gonna do it?"

"..I.. I can't..."

Splash!!

The moment Ian refused, Chris split the man's throat without hesitation with the sword he was previously offering to Ian.

The 12 year old boy's eyes widened. It's not his first time seeing someone die but it was certainly his first time seeing his brother kill someone. And so mercilessly at that.