Extra 2, The story of a knight and maid

A/n: This is a side story of how the kitchen maid Helen, whom Leona considers as the female protagonist (ch9), met her lover, Hector. This story takes place before Leona start working at the castle.

Third person's POV

Hector Ernest, the youngest Royal knight, known to be sword genius that even fights on equal footing with Gilbert.

Though in terms of magic, he lacks a bit, his swordsmanship is top notch. Also he's a tall, handsome man from a noble background. People considered him as perfect in every aspect.

One day while sparring, he accidentally lost his grip on his sword. It was sent flying outside of the practicing grounds and landed in front of two maids that were carrying the kitchen ingredients.

The sack of potatoes and many other vegetables were scattered around the ground. Hector and Gilbert who were sparring, realized their mistake and rushed towards them.

"Are you okay?"

The two maids were already busy picking up the vegetables as they'll have to pay if some of it gets missing.

Just when one of the maids were about to reach one tomato, Hector accidentally stepped on it, almost stepping on the girls hand in the process.

Seeing that, the other girl bursted into anger.

"Are you crazy?! You almost stepped on her hand! Instead of standing there like a fool, hurry up and help!"

The girl, who didn't seem any older than Hector himself scolded him furiously. To ease the tense atmosphere, Gilbert stepped in and apologized.

"Forgive my friend, Helen. He's a little clumsy when it comes to girls. Right Hector?"

He already knows about the two girls who works in the kitchen as he often wanders around there. Seeing him, the anger within their eyes subsided for a bit.

On the other hand, Hector seriously felt scared by the girl's glare that he didn't even have time to get angry at his friend.

"I-I'm sorry. I'll pick these up right away"

After putting everything back, he decided to help them carry it to the kitchen.

Not like he wanted but because Gilbert told him to do so.

"It was your fault for being a loser and losing the grip on your sword so take responsibility and enjoy your time with the girls. Goodbye~"

Hector really wanted to punch that annoying face just once when he said that with a wink. Isn't he also at fault for underestimating his strength and attacking him with telekinesis magic?

Though he was angry, he still helped. It looked way too heavy for the two fragile girls to carry.

From there, he learned that the two girls were called Helen and Ray. He felt really guilty for hurting them so he decided to give them a gift.

The other girl named Ray was easy to talk to. Unfortunately it can't be said the same for Helen as he remembered the way she glared at him and can't help but feel nervous.

It took him a lot of courage just to see her face again.

"Oh, you didn't really have to do that. It's not like we got injured and it wasn't completely your fault anyway so don't worry"

Unexpectedly, Helen easily forgave him just like that. At first she refused his gift, which was a cake that was made at one of the country's most famous bakery.

But after he begged her for so long, Helen accepted the gift as the boy reminded her of a child feeling guilty about their wrong doing, similar to her younger brother who was left at home with his aunt.

As Helen accepted the cake with a smile, Hector felt his heart beating unusually fast.

The girl was beautiful, with black hair and emerald eyes that reminded him of a jewel. Especially when she smiles she looks too...

Wait, what is he thinking? They just met for only two times.

"Let's not think about useless things and focus on training" he muttered to himself.

"Hector's loss!"

"Man, what's wrong with you today? Is there something on your mind?" Gilbert asked as he offered his hand for the man to get up. Usually Hector fights on equal ground against him without magic but today he lost three times in a row even though Gilbert didn't use magic at all.

There was really something wrong with him.

Unfortunately Hector can't tell Gilbert about it as it's forbidden to be in relationship inside the palace.

"Nothing. I'm just not feeling well today"

His lies didn't go unnoticed by Gilbert. He can almost guess what was troubling him.

It was pretty obvious.

"I'm going to the kitchen to meet a friend. Do you wanna come too?"

Knowing fully well his friend won't refuse an opportunity to meet Helen, Gilbert casually asked whilst playing around with his sword.

Hector hesitated for a bit. What will he say to her once they meet? Is it really okay for him to see her when his feelings are still uncertain?

In the end his desire to see Helen again got the better of him as he agreed to accompany Gilbert.

However instead of her usual working spot, she was in the garden. Noticing the two familiar figures beside her, she greeted them with her usual soft smile.

"Good afternoon. What are you two doing here?"

Helen, who was sitting on the ground feeding small birds looked like a living art. Her beautiful smile and the butterflies that were surrounding her added more to the effect.

"..A real life fairy.." Hector suddenly blurted out. As the other two stared at him in silence, he finally realized his mistake and blushed madly.

"N-No, I was just uhh.. I mean, you look beautiful" his pathetic attempt to correct himself worsened the situation even more, causing his ears to turn completely red. But of course he wasn't the only person who felt embarrassed.

"Umm.. t-thank you. You look handsome too.." Helen awkwardly chuckled but she was stating the truth. Hector is a handsome man. Seeing him blushing like that made her heart flutter even more.

Gilbert, a forgotten man and the third wheel decided to excuse himself.

'I was the one who helped them to meet. How ungrateful! I'm definitely going to get a girlfriend before they hookup!'

His single heart couldn't handle seeing the two love birds and was determined to find a lover.