Chapter 20; Match-maker

Leona Collins' POV

As I was cleaning the emperor's office as usual, I heard him say something.
"Leona, your eyes.."

"Yes?"

"They're annoying. Cover it"

These days the emperor is breaking the every single logic of the cliche world I live in.

Usually the male leads like the eyes of the female leads right? Is it because I'm not the female lead? I can't believe he ordered me to cover my eyes that didn't do anything wrong.

Because of that one order, I had to cover my beautiful (at least to me) brown eyes with a black laced blindfold so that it won't bother him anymore. It can be seen through from inside but made things very difficult for me to work.

"Why's she wearing that?"

"I heard she get on the emperor's nerve"

"No, it's because emperor dislikes ugly things that he didn't want to look into those cold eyes"

As usual the maids made me the main topic of their gossip. However they'd stop the moment I slightly turn my head towards their direction. Seeing them like that is actually quite funny.

"Rachel, report today's news"

"Yes. Tomorrow we'll hire three new employees. One is gardener and other two are butlers. Also the maids were complaining about the unfair treatment for their salary despite working day and night without rest. And..."

"Wait wait, why're we hiring a new gardener again?" I clearly remember hiring three new gardeners last week.

"One of them has been eaten by his majesty's pet"

Ah. That's why we need a new one.

I nodded in understanding and motioned for her to continue.

"..Ms. Hannah has requested to take a break from her work. It seems that her health has worsened.."

"Deny it"

That woman.. Making fool of me with her good old friend Janet wasn't enough but she thinks she can take rest every week just because she's old? She must really think of me as a damn pushover.

"But she's too old.."

"Then tell her to choose between her health or work and that she can't choose both. Continue"

"O-okay.. uhh.. so, the maids are working very well but it can't be said the same for the butlers. They're neglecting their duties too much and won't stop making mess. As if rebelling against you, the head butler would protect them every single time"

As she said, butlers and knights are really causing me a headache. I know the imperial knights are capable but they just won't stop flirting with the maids. Same goes for the butlers. At this rate we might as well create a family house for each servants inside the palace.

"Is that supposed to be a report?"

Instead of siding with Rachel, I asked in cold tone whilst glaring towards her that can't be seen through the blindfold.

"N-no.. I mean.. I was just telling.."

"Next time when you 'tell' something, try not to sound like a kid that's running to their momma after getting bullied"

Though it wasn't necessary to scold her, I had to do it in order to keep her in place. Last time I ended up getting into argument with Oscar because of her report. She might get the wrong idea and think I'd protect and trust her every single time.