Chapter 31; The date

Leona's POV

Though I told the emperor that we were going on a date, I was actually going to use the opportunity to meet my mother.

So I wore a simple dress suited for the common people and took several coins with me just in case to look good in my mother's eyes. I wanted to show her how well I was doing and that she doesn't have anything to worry about.

"You look so pretty today. Excited for the date?"

And of course it caused misunderstandings.

"I was so excited that I couldn't fell asleep. Now can you scram?"

Who knows how on earth Gilbert found out about the date. Unlike what I hoped for, he continued to follow me as I headed towards the back gate of the palace.

"Honestly, you two are so well matched. It'd be wonderful if you become the empress. If that happens I'll be happy to be your knight. Then we can have an affair~"

I stared at him in disgust. Just who in their right mind thinks about having an affair with an empress? How I miss Ashley's chattering.

Since the incident with a traitor, I barely managed to save Vera's life by begging from the emperor. Now I don't really feel like talking to her.

I don't even know why I bothered to make such an effort. Perhaps being around Ashley influenced me into becoming a somewhat good person?

"Leona"

Gilbert and I both automatically bowed towards the owner of the voice, who was also dressed in casual outfit like us.

"Get into the carriage. We'll be departing soon"

The emperor probably wanted to discuss something with Gilbert privately so I went to the carriage as ordered. Soon after, the emperor also entered the carriage and we departed to the capital, a place which is the most suitable for a 'date'.

"Your highness, where're we going?"

"It's Chris"

"Eh?"

"You should call me by my name today"

"Okay"

The atmosphere was so awkward that I just wanted to dig a hole under the seat and stay there forever.

I'm not a talkative person to begin with, so is he. Both of us didn't even have much topic to discuss. After a while of racking my brain to think of a topic, I spoke up.

"Your highness.. no, I mean Chris"

"Yes"

"Why does elf brides wear a blindfold?"

"Didn't you read that from the library?"

Actually I didn't read it. I was too angry and shocked to even read the rest. And that book had over thousand pages so I just threw it away in some corner and never opened it again.

"I couldn't understand some of the words" I lied.

"I see. I'm glad you didn't read that. Those books about elves are mostly fake. Something I made up to protect the Elven kingdom"

"Really?"

"Yeah. In Elven Kingdom, all of the woman wears something to cover their faces. You know the legend about elves right? They're very attractive creatures with little to no flaw. And the most beautiful thing about them is their eyes"

I realized how true it was after looking into his eyes.

Most people find it fearsome but when he's not angry, it looked more beautiful than any jewels I've ever seen. If those eyes belong to half-elf then the real elves must be even more beautiful.