Chapter 16; Serving his majesty (2)

Leona Collins' POV

"Your majesty, I've brought a new shirt"

"Come in"

With his approval I stepped inside and saw another man standing behind him. Obviously it was his aide Claud, probably the only man who understands exactly what's going on behind the emperor's dull expression.

"So she's the new head maid? Despite coming from such a lowly place, you sure look innocent. I can already guess what you do to live in such place"

Again, this man was also hating me because of my origins.

Curse y'all. They don't even know what it's like to live there. Eskar is basically a city made of slums. Did he expect me, who grow up in such place to be an angel or something? What's with insulting me without even a proper greeting?

"Nice to meet you too, sir. And I'm honored that you already guessed I used to be a librarian right away. Anyway, your majesty I'd like to ask for a permission to hire new personal maids. I'm afraid, an inexperienced maid such as myself, won't be capable of serving your majesty all alone"

I knew what Claud was implying by 'I can guess what you did to live there'. There's only one job people think is suitable for a weak helpless girl to survive in that place.

Prostitution.

Which my mother used to work as. She didn't have a choice as her body was way too fragile to do hard labors. She needed to feed two months by herself so I never blamed her.

I also used to pickpocket to support her anyway. We were at the bottom of the food chain back then.

Nonetheless, here I am, working as the head maid inside the castle. I'm sure she'll be proud although this job is full of danger.

I smirked towards the annoying aide who probably was surprised about my words, internally before turning my attention to the Emperor. He seems to be thinking deeply about something. Right, to change subjects and prevent myself from conversing with that stupid guy, I asked him to have a personal maid. He probably won't accept it anyway...

"Alright. But they're not allowed to enter my room when I'm present"

He accepted?! Wow, I'm so lucky today.

"Thank you, your majesty. Then may I help you change your shirt?"

Since he agreed it was time to lick his shoes properly to not make him change his decision. At least I don't have to clean his room, wash clothes and do all those minor stuffs all by myself. Just staying by his side and getting my salary sounds pretty good.

"Huh? You help him with what? How dare you try to touch his majesty without permission?!"

"What is there to worry about, sir Claud? I'm now basically his personal servant. Are you implying that monarch of this nation is supposed to change his shirt by himself?"

Honestly there's nothing wrong with changing your shirt by yourself but I wanted to act nice to the emperor so that he won't kill me.

I helped him took his former white shirt off while Claud watched us with awestruck eyes. Is it because he saw his naked chest or something? He's acting so weird.