Chapter 30; Preparing a gift

"Claude, what does people do on a date?"

The emperor's trusted aide, who has been following him for more than ten years was suddenly asked a question he never dreamed to hear from the emperor himself. 

And as a person who's with Chris all day, he also didn't have much dating experience.

"I don't know, your majesty.. Watch a play maybe?"

Just in time, Gilbert entered the emperor's room while dragging a tied up man from his collar, making the poor guy let out muffled screams throughout the hallway.

"Your highness, the Rowthorns have sent you a gift again. Shall we save his head as a decoration or dispose of him right away?" Gilbert asked, his eyes glittering with strange blue color, due to the magic he used to dispose of the assassins.

Chris glanced towards Gilbert in annoyance.
"Just do what you normally do"

Gilbert nodded and happily threw the man out of the balcony with his magic, towards the starving beast that has been sleeping for days. A hollow scream followed shortly afterwards, followed by the lion's growl and soon everything went silent again.

"I really like this pet. I'm planning to have one for myself during the hunting season. Would that be okay, your majesty?"

"No"

"Eh? Why?" Gilbert asked, slightly shocked that emperor refused his request instantly.

"If you're going to keep one, then keep it somewhere else"

"Ah.."

He understood the emperor's intention.

'He doesn't want Leona to have more work'

It's the head maid's duty to care about the emperor's belongings, including the pet. Gilbert is currently disguising himself as a butler so he can't possibly bring another dark lion under his name and the responsibility would be pushed to Leona again.

"By the way where is Ian? I thought he was going to join us today?" Gilbert asked.

"Ian is at the temple, watching over that maid girl. He said that the temple is preparing to make her the Saintess"

Hearing the emperor's reply, Gilbert only nodded in response. It was quite obvious that they were trying to control the temple using the girl. Ian was probably there to watch over her.

Thinking about Ashley reminded him of something interesting.

"You see, while going on my way here, I saw a strange person. Why did you spare that girl, your majesty?"

"What girl?"

"Leona's little friend" Gilbert said with a knowing smirk, obviously referring to Vera. He was more than shocked when he saw the girl walking around the castle with her head attached and the curiosity got him better.

"Watch your tone. Whether his highness spares a mere maid or not is none of your business" Claude cut in.

"Hehe, but isn't that interesting? He even bought Leona tons of stuff. Are you really planning to marry a maid, your highness? Or should I say, daughter of your enemy?"

"GILBERT!!! Stop disrespecting his highness or else.." Claude's hand immediately reached towards his sword, ready to take it out any second. He couldn't stand having his emperor being shipped with a servant.

"It's fine Claude. He's not wrong after all" The emperor stopped him.

"What? But your highness, that girl is a direct descendant of Rowthorn! She's..."