Chapter 12; Eventful day before promotion

Leona Collins' POV

I immediately headed towards the garden to take a fresh breath. I need to calm myself down. Because of those two woman and my trusted friend Ernest, I'm in a not-so-favorable position.

5 months. I've to stay here for another five months as a head maid that serves the emperor and handle the affairs of the palace. Although I lived her for half a month, there're also few palaces I haven't been to and they're just as large as the main palace.

The thought of working like a horse and serving that bloodthirsty emperor makes my blood boil. Janet could've just taught someone else how to read or made Hannah the head maid instead of me. The only guess as to why she chose me is probably Ernest, a noble's recommendation letter.

While on my way to the garden I spotted Vera talking to some other mysterious figure. They seemed to be meeting in secret so I decided to eavesdrop just in case.

"____you said I've another year left!"

"But you haven't brought any valuable information as promised. If you can't do that then the outcome is obvious. How about during the banquet that'll be held next month? Isn't that a nice time to strike?"

"Still..."

"You've no right to make excuses nor do you have a choice in this matter Vera Hildegard. Because you're___"

I couldn't hear what the other guy said at the end but it was obvious that Vera was being threatened to do something. A spy or an assassin perhaps. And her last name is Hildegard...

Hildegard is the name of a fallen noble family that was quite famous about five or six years ago I think. The heir of the family got caught within the power struggle between the princes. The current emperor had to kill his five half-brothers and three half-sisters along with the concubines and empress of the late emperor.

Count Hildegard belonged to one of the prince's fraction and was beheaded. No one knew or cared about what happened to his family as they were many other nobles that died on that day.

Perhaps Vera was going for a revenge. She better stop it if she's going to use some half-assed plan like attacking him during his sleep. To be honest it also explains why she tried to get closer to him in such a weird way before.

I saw the other guy suddenly turn towards my direction. I just prayed he's not a magician and won't kill me for witnessing their secret conversation.

It's too late to run back. Let's just act like nothing happened.

"Vera, I've been searching for you everywhere!"

I simply brushed fast the mysterious man. Unfortunately his face wasn't visible due to the creepy hoodie he's wearing which seemed to become a fashion nowadays.

"Oh, mm Leona.. I-I was on my way to ughh, kitchen! Yes, kitchen to mm.. bring his highness's food. Then goodbye. See ya!"

Seeing me, Vera panicked then ran away.

I can't help but laugh at her. The kitchen is on the other side though. Who would've guessed she was such a bad liar.

"Ho, The ice-lady is smiling? Is the sun rising from the west? Did something good happen?"

My smile dropped instantly after hearing his voice.

"What's with that horrendous nickname, Gilbert?"

I know I'm a loner but loners too sometimes smile you know?

"You didn't know? Everyone here calls you that because you're the only person who fed his highness' pet and survived. Rumors say you didn't look frightened in the slightest"