Chapter 26; Surprises

Leona Collins' POV

It turned out that none of the butlers was the culprit.

Rather it was one of the guards that attacked Vera and hid the dagger in his body which was found easily during the search. Furthermore Gilbert was the one who found the guy.

Son of a *****

Should've told me earlier if he already had different suspects. It just makes me look like an airheaded girl who uselessly argued against a senile old man to look important.

And the worst part of today was that the emperor managed to convince Ashley into joining the temple.

"I think it's better for me to go there and help people rather than wasting my power like this"

The stupid protagonist smiled and said these words like nothing. Even though she's joining there as the emperor's spy.

It's actually a honor to join the temple. But from what I read from novels, the temple definitely has some sort of corrupted side. Moreover becoming a priestess means praying to a rock empty statue for at least four hours and if there is some sort of war, she'll have to join as a healer. On top of all these, Ashley has to secretly find a way and report the temple's movements to the emperor.

This is simply an act of stupidity. If I was Ashley, I'd at least make some sort of deal to benefit from it or guarantee my safety first. I bet this stupid girl was overwhelmed by the emperor's presence and nodded to everything he said.

"One, two, three..."

"Uhmm... Leona, don't you think that's bit too much?"

Helen asked worriedly when she saw me preparing a very, I mean very sweet tea for certain someone.

"It's not. I'm just returning the favor from yesterday to his majesty. The sweetness of the tea expresses just how grateful I am"

Four, five, six...

I just endlessly poured sugar cubes out into the cup of pure spite. I can't make him drink all of it but he at least won't be able to drink tea for now.

"Then I'll get going. Helen, can you help Ashley with her luggage?"

"Okay. I don't have much to do anyway"

The kind woman nodded in response. Who else can help Ashley better, other than this angelic lady? Since those two are both female leads, I'm sure they'll get along well.

Ashley is leaving today. It'd be nice if I can bid farewell but since I'm feeding the emperor nine cubes of sugar, I don't think he'd allow it.

But that doesn't stop me from giving it to him though.

Knock, knock

"Come in"

I heard a faint voice and entered his office. He was sitting behind the table, surrounded by piles of documents that needs to be checked personally.

Sucks to be him.

I put the cup of tea on his table and observed him excitingly. I just want to see his stone face stiffen for a moment and it'll make my day. Honestly I won't be surprised if he punishes me for it.

"I think the tea tastes a little unique today"

Wait...

"Y-your majesty..?"

He.. He actually drank it!!!

There're nine freaking sugar cubes in there!

Thank god he doesn't have diabetes or else I'll be going to prison for harming the Emperor.