Chapter 5; I serve a bloodthirsty monster

Ashley Clark's POV

I woke up earlier than most of the maids.

No matter how hard I try it seems like I'm still dreaming about yesterday's incident.

Although I woke up early, Leona was nowhere to be seen.

She's really different from me..

Yesterday was truly terrible. I still can't shake off the terrifying feeling I got after looking at the emperor's eyes. For the first time in my life I saw someone with such a cold bloody red eyes.

(A/n: Lol she even looked into his eyes although servants aren't allowed to. That's the naive type of female lead alright)

I had nightmares and woke up several times during night because of that. Fortunately the other maids didn't wake up with the exception of Leona.

"Shut up Ashley. You're disturbing me"

She'd scold me whenever I cry and can't wake up from the horrible nightmares. Her words although cold, really helped me.

When I got up from the bed, I noticed that Vera is also missing.

Why's she not in the bed? Is the emperor planning to punish her?

I can't help but worry until I heard soft mumbling from the next door, where the bathroom is.

I reached to the door then saw the two of them sitting on the floor, Leona treating her injuries while Vera just laid there with a wood in her mouth. Those pained mumbling sounds were obviously coming from her.

"What're you guys doing?"

They turned their head towards me. It seems like none of them noticed me coming inside.

"Nice timing. Come here and grab her other hand. It's getting in the way"

I did as Leona said then noticed the glass shards and large burnt scar on Vera's hand.

I didn't know she got hurt this badly.

Yesterday she was making a tea for his majesty even though she wasn't told or allowed to. The emperor simply threw the tea on the floor without batting an eye.

When Vera hurried to pick up the shattered cup, he stepped on her hand.

I can't believe no one treated her wounds until now.

"Mmm..mhmm...."

"Stop whining, you're going to wake up the others. What a troublesome woman. If you've even a little bit of self conscious then shut up and endure"

Ah, Leona is still as cold as ever.

It's been only few days since I met her but she seems to be the type to be hard on the outside and soft in the inside.

See, after Vera's hiss, she's being even gentler.

However I can't seem to glare at her bloody palm. Just a bit more blood and I might puke.

I was going to look away but stopped after seeing a similar burnt but old scar on her hand.

"Leona, were you also burnt before?"

Vera also noticed it.

Because Leona usually wear gloves on daily basis, at least when she's with us, I didn't notice and thought she just didn't want to dirty her hands.

"None of your business"

"Oww.."

She coldly answered whilst harshly tightening the bandage making Vera hiss in pain. The treating process finally ended and I heard Vera sighing in relief. It must've been painful for her.