Chapter 32

Kaat

I sat down at my desk and flipped on my computer that was sitting quietly on the cool surface. I waited as it hummed to life and heard many footsteps come slowly closer. When I turned around in my spinny chair I was bombarded by about ten of my coworkers. No doubt here to ask about what it was like to meet Jace John.

As it was, I had gotten three calls this morning from reporters in California wanting an interview with me. I politely denied them all and knew that if it started to pick up, I was going to have to change my number.

"What was it like meeting Jace John?"

"Is he as hot in person as he is on tv?"

"Could you give him my number and tell him to give me a call?"

"Did you two date? Come on, you can tell me for real. I wont tell anyone else."

I turned away from them to look at my booted up computer, opening the last article I was working on and told them over my shoulder, "I would love to chat you guys, but I have work to do. Things to catch up on. I hope you understand."

There were mumbles of sadness and a few 'yeah, ok' s but they all dispersed quickly. Going about their own business.

I re-read the letter I had been working on before I left and was struck with the intuition of what to write.

'Dear Jennifer L. of Cheese Central,

First of all, you're writing from a long way off. I guess I didn't know you could get this small news paper from there. Anyway, back to the question at hand...

Why settle for someone who wants your relationship to be in the dark? I understand the thrill of it all but at the same time you don't want to be in a relationship that could lead to many problems in the future. You should ask him about his reason for keeping it a secret and listen to your heart. If it sounds like a crap excuse then you more than likely have your answer. But if you're willing to listen and really trust your boyfriend, which it sounds like you are, then you should stay with him. Just make sure to really ask why and pay attention to the things that he does with you in public. That should be a sure indicator.

Your friend,

Abby'

As soon as I saved it and sent it to the printer, I heard my name being called over the sound of clacking from keyboards. I knew imediately who it was. Jeff.

"Kaatlynn! I need to see you in my office right now, please!" He yelled.

I slowly got out of my chair. Reasons why he would want to see me ran through my head like they would as a teen walked to the principal's office. Why does Jeff need me? What did I do wrong? No, I didn't do anything wrong. I just got back from my vacation. What could he want then?

"You wanted to see me?" I asked him as I came into his office.

"Yes, Kaatlynn. Close the door and come have a seat." he gestured.

I did as was told like a compliant child. I slid into the leather seat in front of his large metal desk.

"Kaatlynn, do you know why you're here?"

Oh gosh, it sounded like the opening to a bad ending. I gulped.

"No. I was hoping you would tell me."

"Well I have heard about your affairs in California while you were on vacation, along with everyone else in the U.S." He started. "And since the interview that young man had on the television, our rates have gone up significantly."

I was confused. So was I in trouble or not?

"That's great. Right?"

"It's fantastic is what it is. And it is all thanks to you Kaatlynn. You saved the day. So, I know you have been wanting this for a while now and I am going to grant it to you. I am going to give you your very own space in the paper. You now have your own column where you can write about anything you want. No more Dear Abby business. And I'm going to give you a raise. Thank you so much for your hard work Kaatlynn. I'm excited to see what you do next."