Chapter 18

Jace

I was waiting for Kaat to get to my condo when Lee drove up.

"Yo, what's up man?" he yelled hopping out of his convertible BMW.

"Not much, I'm actually kinda busy right now, so-" I trailed off slowly hinting for him to go away. Of course he didn't catch the hint.

"Oh yeah, you look super busy leaning against your car, arms crossed to show off your un-human-like muscles." he laughed.

"I am actually really busy, l have a photo shoot to get to."

"And standing there helps you get there how?" he wondered.

"I'm waiting for someone, now if you don't mind, could you leave?"

"Who? It must be a girl if your getting all defensive. You can't be going out with one of your models. Remember how that worked out last time? Man, Brooklynn is a crazy chick! I mean first, she leaves without telling you about it, never contacts you while we see the tabloids flooded with pictures of her and some French guy, and then she comes back in your apartment like she owns the place. Sounds like a stalker to me."

"Yeah, I remember, Lee. Thanks for the recap." I said, anger starting to bubble up in me.

"I never thought that she was good for you from the beginning, just for the record. I mean you guys meet up at a bar and she offers for you to buy her a drink and take her home, and you, being the gentlemen that you are, buy her a drink but take her home to her place. Then she calls you up the next day and wants you to do her a big favor and let her be the model in your next photo shoot. To me it just sounds like she was a gold digger!"

"Yeah man, I got it. You didn't like her. I have faced the harshness of my mistakes."

"What puzzles me, is how you could let her use you like that."

"I thought she was a nice girl." I defended myself.

"Oh, yeah. Letting you pay for everything from the beginning made her a great girl."

"Well, in the beginning she was really sweet. We had some really good talks."

"Is that a code word for my favorite thing to do?" Jake said waggling his eyebrows at me in a suggestive manner.

"No, man. Actual talks. She was pretty smart." I scoffed. I did not need that picture in my head.

"Yeah, until she up and left you one night and didn't come back for six months."

"Can we just get off this topic?" I asked as Lee said;

"Do you remember when she cheated on you with your old drummer? Dick?"

"It was Derek, and I was the one who caught them, in the closet."

"Harsh times. She was definitely a b-"

"Lee! I got it! Lets just get off this topic now? Please?"

"Yeah sorry man." He said stepping back like I had swung at him.

We stood in silence for a moment. Then I saw Kaat's car coming up the street and all my anger and sadness flooded away.

"Dude, your face just, like, literally lit up. What's going on?" Lee sounded freaked out.

"You'll see."

Kaat pulled up and parked next to Lee's car. She stepped out of the car and pretended to fiddle with her purse.

"Kaat." I said. She looked up at me over her sunglasses. She looked panicked.

Lee turned around and looked at her and I saw a blush flood her cheeks.