Chapter 20

Kaat

Jace and I sat on the couch at his condo, stuffed from the salami sandwiches we had just devoured. Jace grabbed my legs and pulled them across his lap and started to massage my calves.

“I can’t believe you just ate two and a half salami sandwiches! Where do you pack it all?”

“I have a secret stash. Me and my brothers used to have a contest all the time to see who could eat the most helpings at dinner.”

“And let me guess, you won?”

“Every time. You are looking at the reigning champion twelve times in a row. I can beat them at Thanksgiving too.” I winked.

Jace chuckled at this, the vibration of his chest making my legs shake.

“That’s hilarious.”

“What? What’s so funny about it?”

“You’re just so thin; you wouldn’t think that you could pack in the food.”

“I’m not that thin.”

“Kaat, I wish you could see how beautiful you are. You underestimate yourself.” Jace told me. His eyes stuck to mine and his tone suddenly getting serious.

My heart sped up at his complement and I wasn’t sure how to reply to that. Jace picked up his hand and placed it on my cheek.

“Kaat, you are so amazing and gorgeous. And I’m the lucky one to have met you.”

“Jace, I-“ I tried to put together a sentence.

“Sh-“ Jace hushed, leaning over, and giving me a kiss on the lips.

“Thank you, Jace.” I finally said. “You’re too sweet.”

I leaned in an gave him a kiss again. When we pulled away, Jace was smiling, and I smiled back.

“Kaat, why can’t you see how beautiful you are?”

I took a deep breath. I wasn’t prepared for that question.

“You know, I’m sorry. That was rude. Forget I even asked.”

“No- no. It’s fine.” I told Jace, laying a hand on his. “My ex- boyfriend, Brad, he hurt me emotionally and I haven’t really been able to get over it.”

“How? If I’m allowed to ask?”

“About six months ago, it was just a normal day. I had just gotten off work and called Brad to see if he wanted to come over…”

“Hey Brad, I just got out of work. Do you want to come over? We can order take- out and watch a movie.” I asked as I walked down the steps of the newspaper building.

“I’m sorry, babe. I can’t do it tonight. I’m going to have to stay late and finish up some paper work for a case I’m working on. Rain check?”

A frown fell on my face as I flagged down a taxi to go home.

“Ok hon. Don’t work too late?”

“Ok. I’ll try. Bye babe. Love you!”

“I lo-“ I started but was cut off by the click of the call ending.

I got into the taxi and was halfway home before I had the brilliant idea of getting the take out and just taking it over to his office. Give him a little surprise; keep him company until he’s done with his paperwork.

I told the taxi driver where to head and called the take out place on Eigth Avenue. By the time I got there, the food was ready. I ran in and grabbed the food then rushed out to the taxi. In ten minutes, I was in front of Brad’s office.