Chapter 8

Jace

A radio station blared in my ears. My eyes snapped open at the sudden outburst. I flipped over on my side to glare at the clock that dared awake me. It was nine in the morning, and my hand was poised to hit the snooze, but then I remembered that I was supposed to meet Kaatlynn at Jo's for coffee.

I groaned at the memory that I had been the one who said to meet at ten. Why ten? Why not eleven or twelve? An hour of the day that I can actually have a decent conversation without seeming like a total nincompoop. I rolled my eyes at the thought of looking stupid in front of Kaatlynn.

Then I remembered the events of last night and I was energized with a jolt. Last night was such a great night. I don’t think I could have planned it to be any better. Well, except for being interrupted by Chuck while making my big move. Other than that, it was a great night. 

The feeling of wrapping my arms around her small frame. Watching Kaatlynn take tiny steps closer to me until she was leaning into me. Her body lightly pressed against mine. She bit her lip, so sexily, I just couldn't resist. I leaned in to give her a kiss. I watched until she closed her eyes and then I closed mine. I brushed my lips against hers, sparks sailing through my skin. She let out a small gasp at the prelude to a kiss. 

Then Chuck came along and ruined the moment. Jerk.

Either way I got up and walked into the bathroom to take a cold shower. I needed something to cool me down after thinking about what had happened last night. I hoped and prayed that my fondness of her wouldn't show as I walked down the street or when I see her at Jo's.

I tried to find something to do while I waited for the time to leave, but I was blessed with no such luck. I slipped on my shades and put on a baseball hat, slipping the hoodie I wore yesterday onto my arms and throwing the hood on. I slipped out the door and took two steps at a time down the stairs. I checked my watch for the time. I had fifteen minutes until Kaatlynn would be there.

I walked slowly down the sidewalk, taking my time. My body was fighting my pase the whole way. I kept speeding up and slowing down et cetera, et cetera.

I crept up to the entrance to Jo’s. I pulled the door open, went up to the counter and ordered my regular, wondering if I should order Kaatlynn the same thing she had yesterday. After some thought, I ordered her the same thing and went to sit at the back table that was practically reserved for me every morning.

I was half way through my coffee when Kaatlynn got there. She walked in wearing some short shorts and a nice pink blouse. Her hair was pulled into a loose bun on her head, with some hair falling to the sides. She slid her sunglasses on the top of her head and walked my way when I waved her over. I stood up and we said our hello’s. I told her that I had ordered her the same thing as yesterday.

“Thanks. Cappuccino’s are my favorite.” she replied.

“So how did you sleep?” I asked not knowing what else to say.

In my head I was hoping that she would say that she couldn't sleep. She was tossing and turning all night because she couldn't stop thinking about me and everything that had happened yesterday. Then I would admit to doing the same thing.

“Well, not as well as I would have hoped. And you?” she retorted.

“Same here." I admitted. "So I bet your friend is a little suspicious of us now, right?”

“Yeah, just a little. But I told her that I was out getting coffee and I wanted to stop by a store that I saw on the way back. So that should give us a little extra time, unless you have somewhere to be?” Kaatlynn asked trailing off.