Alternate First Chapter

Hey guys! I have created an alternate first chapter. I am trying to incorporate more of the story of Brad and Kaatlynn's relationship/ break-up so it's not so confusing. Let me know if this addition just makes things more confusing or if it makes some more sense!

Chapter One

Kaatlynn

 *Seven Months Earlier*

            "Where are we going?" I asked, looking out the window of the vehicle I was currently traveling in.

            I glanced back over to my boyfriend of three years, Brad McAllister. His face glowed with the small lights from the car gadgets being lit up. His infamous smile playing on his face and giving away his happiness over being able to keep me in the dark about what we were doing. He thought he was so smart.

            After waiting for him to reply and getting nothing from him, I let out a very exaggerated sigh to help him understand how frustrated I was. As much as I liked surprises, I could never find the patience for them. All the waiting for something that I wanted to just happen already. The only thing Brad did was laugh at my reaction and continued to keep me in the dark about what was happening.

            I began to think of all the possibilities of where we could be going and why everything had to be a secret. I thought of my favorite restaurant with the strawberry shortcake desert that I couldn't get enough of. I thought of what kind of important event this could be that it called for a formal dress, my long black dress and Brad's navy suit and tie. The excitement began to bubble up in my stomach. After three years of dating, could Brad finally be popping the question tonight?

            I looked over at him with a huge grin. He looked over at me and shot me his winning smile before grabbing a hold of my hand and squeezing. He had to be proposing to me tonight. There was no way we would get this dressed up just for a regular dinner date. And he has never been this secretive before about where we were going and what we were doing.

            There was no doubt in my mind: he is proposing tonight!

            By the time we reached our destination, I was so giddy that I was practicing my reaction in my mind. I had already picked out which facial expression I would go with and had told myself not to cry because it would mess up my make-up. I kicked myself for not wearing waterproof mascara.

            I peeked out the window to see where we were and could tell that we weren't at any restaurant I had ever been to. It didn't even look like a restaurant. It was more like a large mansion. It had a circle drive with a fountain in the middle. It seemed as though there were a lot of people, with many making the climb up the stairs to the grand front door. It was such a high class place that there was a valet service that was parking cars.

            I glanced at Brad, now unsure of what we were doing at such a grand place like this. I had under dressed for what occasion this was and I felt myself begin to flush as I felt embarrassment creep into my system.

            "Brad, what are we doing here? I thought we were going to a restaurant?" I asked nervously.

            "I never said we were going to a restaurant. We are at my boss's estate. He is hosting a party for all of his associates. I thought that if I didn't tell you where we were going then you wouldn't be able to object. I know how much you don't like parties like these."

            "You're right, I wouldn't have come because I don't like these kinds of parties. Why would you trick me like that?" My anger built as the seconds ticked by.