Chapter 3

Kaatlynn

I stepped off the plane and walked down the ramp to the airport itself. The door opened to reveal a throng of people. It was noisy with cell phones and pagers going off. People were having loud conversations and they were busy going everywhere. I bumped into a few people- one of whom looked identical to Robert Pattenson.

I had to shove my way through the crowd to get the baggage claim where my suitcase was on a neverending loop on the conveyor belt. I snatched mine and walked back to the lobby and out the doors into the hot summer day. I felt as though I had instantly started to sweat.

I just started my small trek to the rental shop that wasn't too far away, adn it was a quick in and out since I had set it up before I came. I stepped out of the shop behind the worker and he showed me to the car I would be driving for the next two weeks.

I sighed and looked at the black Mustang GT Convertible, with a black leather interior. I was so excited to drive it. I was handed the keys and I hauled my stuff into the trunk, then pulled out my iPhone to call Naomi.

“Hey Nay! I’m in California! I just landed a couple of minutes ago. I should be over to your apartment soon if I can navigate my way over there.”

“Hey Kaat, I need you to skip going to the apartment and just come over to the Studio. I'm actually not at the apartment right now. I forgot to call and tell you that I had to work a little late today.” Naomi's British accent chirped in my ear.

“Alrighty.” I said in reply. I shoved my phone in between my shoulder and my face so that I could put the address in my GPS.

“And by the way, please don’t say that while you’re around me, or at all. It makes you sound like an old lady.”

“Well maybe I am,” I say in the best impersonation I can muster.

“Wow, and definitely do not do that while you’re here. You sound like a pervert.”

“Thanks for the tips, Nay.” I say before hanging up.

I sped out of the parking lot after putting the top down. I slipped my sunglasses on and let my hair out of it’s clip. My sandy curls flowed behind me as I rolled down a palm tree lined street. I tried not to gape at everything like a tourist but it became harder and harder to concentrate on the road and not my surroundings. I got to the Records, managing to stay in one piece. I parked in one of the visitor spaces in the front of the small building.

There was a poster of Jace John hanging in the window. One of many I had seen on my way here. He was shirtless in this one. He had his hand running through his brown hair. His muscles well defined. The strap to his guitar ran across his chest that was, I noticed, shaved. The poster was for his new CD titled, “Me and My Guitar.”

Although it looked like an ad for Abercrombie and Fitch. He looked kind of full of himself, but what do you expect from a star? He was just another spoiled star who got the world handed to him on a silver platter. I mean I’m not asking the guy to give up everything he has worked for but he could be a little more modest about it. He’s probably a womanizer too. One girl one week and another girl the next. But whatever, I don’t care.

I walked over to the door of the Records and slid in. A rush of cool air swept past me. It smelt like roses and new furniture. I walked by a large window revealing a young girl who was playing an acoustic guitar. She was singing a slow song about how 'mamma’s gone and daddy’s too drunk to care'. It was kind of sad. I pulled away from the girl and went up to the receptionists desk. I asked the woman where Naomi Fields’ office was.

“Do you have an appointment?”

“Um, no. I’m her friend from Manhattan, Kaatlynn. She said to meet her here.”