Chapter 19

Kaat

When I walked out of the room and onto the floor where everyone else was, all the people just stopped and stared at me. Jace got a weird look on his face, and the other models looked like they wanted to tear me apart. I took an involuntary step back when I let the glares coming from their eyes really sink through my skin. A man with a camera and a very peculiar mustache looked at me with a look sort of like shock and disgust. On anyone else it would have looked gruesome, but he had definitely perfected it.

“And who, might I ask, are you?”

“This is Jace’s girl friend, Kay.”

“Kaat, actually.”

“Whatever.”

“Are you a model?” the guy with the camera asked with a new found interest.

“Um,” I started not knowing how to answer that.

“Yeah she is today.” Jace interjected.

“What does that mean.”

“It means that she is going to be a model today.”

“Well then, what took you so long, and why are you wearing those clothes? Why aren’t you wearing something that I chose out? Go put it on!”

I backed up again, intimidated. I had never been this timid in my lifetime. I always stick up for myself, I don’t let anyone ever boss me around unless it is one of my superiors and I have to. But being in this strange environment with someone who’s job was to do this, that intimidated me.

“Actually, she had a problem with one of your outfits, so I had Rhonda get her something else that would go with your wonderful artistic vision.”

“Well, I guess I could maybe do something with this. Let me see.” he looked back at me. Then he turned around and set his camera on his table and walked over to me. He put his hand to his mustache and started to play with it as he walked around me, checking out my outfit and figuring out what he could do with it.

“I’ve got it.”

I just stood there and looked around wondering what to do after his exclamation. As he started to walk back to his table to get his camera, I wasn’t sure if I should follow him or just stay here.

“Follow!” the camera guy yelled over his shoulder.

I took it as him calling over his shoulder to me so I followed him like instructed. He placed me on the set near Jace and told me where to stand and what to look like.

“All right. Girls come out here and get in a big group, and be kind of facing me. Different outfit girl, get in the front and stand in the middle of them. Now Jace I want you to get in front of them. Girls, act like crazed fans which probably isn’t hard for you to do. Different Outfit Girl, look calm and reach out your hand. Jace you hold onto it and look at each other as if you love each other.”

Jace and I do what we are told. Ralph takes pictures, has us move around, and takes more pictures. That is pretty much the extent of our day.

When we get back to Jace’s condo, he invites me up, but I turn him down.

“I should probably get back to Naomi, she is probably going through some serious Kaatlynn withdraw.”

“Ok. Then I will see you tomorrow. I will pick you up.”

“Just text me when you are there.”

“Sounds good.” he replies.

We kiss plainly on the lips, and I turn and walk to my rental car, getting in, and driving away.