Chapter 27

Kaat

We spent the rest of the day getting ready for the party. Naomi got my hair ready, and she did my makeup. After I put on my form-fitting red dress, Naomi helped me figure out what shoes and what accessories to wear to the party. In the end I looked pretty good, and ready to go out.

“Why is it that I feel like you’re Cinderella and I am the ugly Godmother?”

“You’re not ugly.”

“Thanks.” she said with a smile.

“You know I love you and definitely appreciate you.”

“You better, without me, you would be lost.”

“Isn’t that the truth?” I agree.

“Yes.” she said with a smile still plastered on her face.

“Ok well, I guess I will see you later.”

“Tonight?” she asked with a hopeful gleam in her eye.

“No promises.”

“Go knock ‘em dead.”

“You know I will.” I replied and was out the door on my way.

I was half way to my car when I got a text from Jace.

‘Hey, I can’t give you a ride there. Lee needed me there early so he could pre- approve my song selection. I attached his address to this message. I already gave the bouncers your name so you can get in. I can’t wait to see you tonight. -Love, Jace’

I opened the instructions that were attached and I read them. I climbed into my car and entered it into the GPS. I was on my way to Lee’s house to see Jace and be surrounded by the life of Hollywooders.

It took me about fifteen minutes to get there, which was a miracle. I thought it would take forever but it wasn’t that far away. By the time I got to the gate, I could hear the music beating against the walls of the house. I pulled up to the bouncer that had a clipboard in his hand and an earpiece in his ear. I gave him my name and he checked the list. After about a minute, he found my name and waved me in. When I got closer to the house, it got bigger, which I didn’t think was possible. Lee had hired a few people to park cars. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to give over the rental to the guy, but I did anyway, and he gave me a ticket.

The place was packed when I got in there. Bodies were pressed up against each other to “Blackout” by Breathe Carolina and it was a tad bit stuffy. There were bartenders in the corner of the room, taking orders. I got a virgin Piña Colada since I would be driving home tonight, or maybe back to Jace’s place. You never know. I put a tip in his jar and walked off. I felt a little like a loner because I didn’t know anyone. But I saw Lee up in front of me, failing at nabbing a girls interest. She just stormed away from him. I chose that time to walk up to him.

“Hi, Lee. This is a pretty good party.”

“Thanks. Tell that to the girls. Wait, you’re Jace’s girlfriend aren’t you?” he yelled over the music.

“Shh! Don’t say it too loud. No one is supposed to know.”

“Oh, right. Sorry. So what’s up?”

“Just kind of don’t know any one here except for you and Jace, who is nowhere to be seen.”

“He is getting ready. But while you’re here, do you wanna help me with something?”

“Depends on what it is.” I said, thinking back on how Jace and Lee had met.

“I am just not having any luck with the ladies and I need some help. Can you pretend to break up with me? Like push me away, maybe give me a little slap. Make it believable.”