Chapter 33

Jace

I was nervous for tonights show. The thought of seeing Kaat again was driving me wild. I wasn't even sure if she would come or not, but deep down I was praying that she would. I needed to see her beautiful face again and tell her everything. I wanted to make things right and if telling everyone that we were together was what she wanted, I wanted to give that to her.

I want to give her everything that she has ever wanted and more. I want to make her happy and I want to be happy knowing that she chose to be with me. I loved her too much to let her go once again. I needed to hold on to her this time.

But all of this depended on whether or not she was coming to my show. I didn't know if she even got my package. There were so many variables to consider and it was getting me too riled up. I ran a couple laps around the ausitorium in an effort to get rid of some excess energy. Instead, it just got my adrenaline going even more.

When I got back to backstage Lee was waiting for me with a towel that I didn't need.

"Kaat on your mind still?"

"Yeah. I just can't stop thinking about her. Do you think she's gonna come tonight?"

"To be honest, I don't think so. But I don't know. I could be completely wrong."

My stomach dropped as the reality of the situation hit me. She really might not come tonight. She might not want to see me. Her mind might be made up for good this time.

"Don't think too hard about it though. You gotta go get ready. The concert starts in an hour." Lee patted my shoulder, nudging me along.

"Yeah, ok." I absentmindedly agreed.

"Put your hands together for the man of the hour... Jace John!" Lee yelled into the mic in order to be heard over the loud screams of the crowd.

I pasted a smile on my face and ran out with my guitar, greeted with an even louder chant.

"How are you guys in the Big Apple?!" I asked them before I started to play a song that I knew so well.

"Any sign of her?" I asked Lee as I ran off the stage after my encore.

"No man. I haven't seen her. I'm sorry bro. I hoped that she would show, but I don't know if it's going to happen."

"What if she just wanted to wait until after the show. That's when the other fans usually come with their backstage passes. Maybe she is just coming with a crowd of them."

"For your sake, I hope so. I hate seeing you obsessing over something other than your music. You nearily messed up twice out there."

"I was looking for her and I got a little caught up. I'm sorry. It was a nice recovery, you have to admit though."

"Yeah, you did alright. But you wouldn't have had to do it if you would have concentrated on your music."

"Lee, you don't understand. She's-" I started.

" 'She's special. She makes me feel ten times more energized than eny concert could and I love her. She could be the girl for me.' " Lee finished, using my words against me.

"Exactly."

"Well, until the backstage people get here, you have some fans that you could greet. They are waiting for you to go sign some pictures of your ugly ass face."

"Yeah my face is so ugly they have pictures hanging on their bedroom walls?"

"Hey, you never know what they could be doing to those pictures. They might draw devil horns on there or give you a black eye."

"I'm sure that's why they pay the money to come here."

"Well you know that and to look at the handsome best friend."

"Whatever man." I countered and shoved his shoulder, puching him away from me.

We walked out into the lobby and were greeted by screams and clapping. I smiled and sat at the table they had set up, then invited the first girl in line to get an autograph.

"Jackie is waiting in your room Mr. John." Steve told me as I walked up to my dressing room door.

"Thanks, Steve. How are the kids?"

"They're excellent. Still playing with the toys you got them last Christmas. Thank you."

"Don't mention it." I brushed off.

Then I swept into the room turning to close the door before me.

I heard Jackie get up off the couch behind me, being uncharacteristically quiet.

"Wow Jackie, it's been a whole two seconds and you haven't said a w-" I said as I turned around. My jaw dropped at the figure in front of me and my eyes widened. "You're not Jackie."

"Hi, Jace." Kaat greeted me with a weak smile.