Chapter 12

Jace

A small sweat was starting on my forehead as I stood in front of the oven to pull out the chicken with mitted hands. The apartment was steamy from the hours of cooking. I had been slaving over the meal that Kaat and I would share for hours and the fumes were starting to get to me. I kept talking to myself and laughing while I made the chicken pieces 'dance'.

I made some marinated chicken with fresh steamed green beans, and a nice fettuccini sauce to dowse the chicken in. For desert I made some marble cheesecake with some chocolate shavings on top along with raspberries and chocolate sauce masterfully poured onto it.

After putting the chicken in the oven for one last bake, I noticed the time. It was six fifteen and I still had yet to set the table and take a shower. I grabbed a couple plates from one of the cabinets next to the stove and grabbed some silverware and a couple cloth napkins. I set the table and set a few candles I found in my junk drawer on the table to light later.

I rushed into the bathroom and took a shower in record time. Once in my room I started digging through my clothes to find something nice to wear. I pull on some boxers and a white undershirt. Then I pull out a light blue,  v-neck t- shirt. I tug it over my head and turn to look at how it looks in the mirror. I turn back around and pull some dark blue jeans out of my dresser. I slip them onto my hips and look into the mirror once again. Pretty good if I didn’t say so myself. I mussed up my hair and walked out into the kitchen.

I pulled the chicken out of the oven and turned off the stove. I checked the time nervously. The clock revealed that it was six fifty. Kaat would be here any moment now. I flitted around the kitchen like a bird with it’s head cut off trying to make everything look perfect. I wanted her to be impressed by what I was making and how good everything looked. As long as she doesn’t look in any doors then I’m good.

This morning, I stuffed everything that didn’t belong, into my closets. I stepped back from everything and saw for the first time how good it all looked. When my eyes finally wandered over the set table, I noticed that there was something missing. I had forgotten to grab glasses. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a couple wine glasses off of the shelf they were on. I was just setting them on the table when my phone rang. I took a couple deep breathes and answered, sure that it was Henry telling me that Kaat was waiting downstairs.

I picked up the phone and said a quick greeting.

"Hello, Mr. John sir. There is a woman here by the name of Kaatlynn? She says you are expecting her. Shall I send her up?" Henry asked.

I took a deep breath in, a smile appearing on my face.

"Yes Henry. Send her up. Thank you."

"You're welcome sir. Do you need anything else?"

"No. Just some peace and quiet. Don't let anyone else come up and please don't interrupt unless it's an emergency." I instructed.

"Ok, sir. I shall make a note and make sure to follow your instructions."

"And Henry?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Remember, you can call me Jace. I would much rather that than 'Mr. John' or 'sir'."

"Yes, s- Jace. Thank you."

"No, thank you, Henry." I said in a chipper tone and hung up the phone.

Kaat was on her way up and would be knocking on the door at any moment now. I looked at everything one more time and lit the candles. I moved the plates fractions to make sure that they were perfectly centered. Everything looked like it belonged in a fine dining magazine. I smiled to myself at all that I had accomplished today.