Chapter 15

Kaatlynn

I turned to walk back to where Jace was standing by the stove. He was just standing there, staring at me with a weird look on his face.

“Jace? You ok?”

He snapped out of it quickly. Shaking his head a little bit and really focusing on me. He plastered a smile on his lips and it was like he was back in motion once again.

“Yeah. I was just thinking.”

“About what, if I might ask?”

“You.”

I looked at my feet to hide the blush that was burning hot on my cheeks. A smile peaked on my lips. I swept my tangled hair behind my ear and started cracking some eggs open in the bowl Jace got down for me. Jace cleared his throat and returned to making the pancakes.

“Do you want anything in your pancakes?”

“Well, my mom used to make these great pancakes when I was a kid. They had thin slices of strawberries and some chocolate chips in them. She used to make them when I had an important event coming up that day, or she just wanted to surprise us kids.” I said, nostalgia gripping my brain.

“That sounds pretty good to me. Your mom sounds really great.”

“She is.” I sighed, remembering my mom.

Jace turned away to search around the kitchen for the things to put in the pancakes.

I kept on working on the eggs, adding in the cheese and cilantro before I whipped it up.

“I found the jackpot!” Jace yelled from behind me. Then he was next to me holding up a carton of strawberries and a bag of chocolate chips.

“Sweet!” I replied and before we attempted a high five, considering he had things in his hands.

“I’m gonna cut up the strawberries. How about you dump in some chocolate chips in the batter?”

“Sure.”

I moved over to the other side of the stove where the ingrediants were sitting on the counter. Jace turned back to the cutting board at the end of the island to cut up the beautifully ripe strawberries.

I poured the chocolate chips into the mixing bowl full of batter. I had just started to mix them in when Jace made a “mmm” noise. I turned to look at him with an incredably dorky, but cute look on his face.

“You’ve gotta try one of these strawberries. They are nice and sweet.”

I picked up the mixing bowl and walked over, still mixing the batter. Jace turned toward me with a strawberry in hand. I opened my mouth and Jace plopped it inside. The sweetness immediately covering my taste buds.

“Mmm, it really is sweet.” I smiled, hoping there weren't any seeds in my teeth.

“Right?” Jace agreed.

At that exact moment, I splattered some mix onto Jaces t-shirt. I let out a gasp before I started to giggle like a giddy school girl.

“You wanna play that game, huh?” he asked with an eyebrow raised.

“I’m so sorry.” I said still giggling.

Jace grabbed a couple fingers full of the mix and aimed it at me. I stopped mid giggle. He smiled at me and shot the goo-y stuff onto my shirt and on my face. I gasped once again at the fact that Jace actually threw food at me.

“This,” I said grimly, “means war!”

After setting the bowl of mix down, I grabbed a handful of strawberries and smooshed them all over his face.