Chapter 28

Jace

I went home that night, my jaw sore and my heart crying. Anger swelling and clogging my throat. All that was flashing through my mind was what had happened at the party.

I had just walked out of the room, after performing a couple songs on Lee’s flimsy stage. I did a quick sweep through the room to try and find Kaat, but I couldn’t see her through this crowd. I was going to look for Lee, but then some girl came up and gave me a kiss, I thought it was Kaat for a minute, but the way that the girl kissed me was fast and erratic, and when she pulled back, I saw it was Brooklynn. I became irritated that she did that, but I spotted Kaat in the background.

I yelled out her name but she just kept on walking, bumping into writhing bodies here and there. I followed after her, getting held up by people who just had to talk to me. I yelled out to her again, but she probably didn’t hear me.

I finally made it out of the house and saw her shoving around in her purse. Here was my chance. I ran up to her.

“Kaat it isn’t what you think. Please just let me explain.”

She told me I had five seconds. She started to count up on her fingers. I tried to explain fast, but I felt that it wasn’t good enough and I didn’t have any more time to explain. Once all five fingers were up, she slapped me again and walked off. I stood there, shocked. I turned and looked at her. I figured it would be a better idea to just wait for her to cool off before confronting her again. After Kaat was out of sight, I turned around to find Brooklynn standing in the doorway, looking at me.

“Were you cheating on me while I was gone?”

“No. Because after you left, we broke up. You didn’t write, you didn’t call, nothing. I saw tabloids with you and some French guy holding hands and kissing. It was over then, and it’s over now.”

“Oh, Jacy, I want you back. I missed you so much in Prague. I made a mistake, but if you forgive me, I can make it up to you.” she said stepping closer to me and running her hand down my chest and to my belt buckle. It might have turned me on eight months ago, but it doesn’t now.

I gently pushed her away.

“I don’t want you back, I never will. I want Kaatlynn. She is the one that I want. I gotta go.”

“You will regret this Jace. I will have been the best thing that ever happened to you, and when you come crawling back to me, I will shut you down so hard, you wont have anywhere else to go but down.”

I wasn’t scared, her threat was an empty one.

“Like I would crawl back to you.” I replied, skeptical.

That remark got me my third slap of the night, which was a new record, compared to my record before- zero.

Brooklynn stormed past me, almost knocking me down after pushing me unexpectedly. I turned around holding up my arms with a confused look on my face.

What was that for?

When I turned back around to make my way back into the house, Lee was behind me and slapped me hard across the face.

“What the hell was that for?” I asked angry and confused which was becoming the theme of my life.

“I thought it was International Slap Jace John Day.” he answered.

“Apparently it is.” I said.

I saw his arm start to raise from it’s position at his side.

“Don’t do it.” I warned, holding up a finger.