8. We're losing him

"Time of death 11:37 am"
George collapsed to the floor of the hospital a sobbing mess. He heard James calling his name and felt someone touching his shoulder.
"George.... George mate.... George can you hear me?" James called out.

George woke up and realised he wasn't in a hospital, he was instead staring at the ceiling of James and Arias flat.
"ALEX" he jumped up from where he was laying on the floor, remembering the phone call with Alex's younger brother.
"Slow down George, you just passed out" James pleaded. George looked back to see Gee sitting on the sofa with wet cheeks and Aria next to her nervously biting her nails.

"We have to go, Alex is... he's... we need to..." George stammered.
"We know George we called an Uber it's gonna be here in 5 minutes" Aria said standing up holding Gees hand.
"Come on let's go downstairs and wait" James said wrapping an arm around Georges shoulder.

The four arrived at the hospital, George throwing himself out of the car and running inside. The others followed seeing George standing at the reception talking to the lady behind the desk, he be was becoming more and more tearful to a point he couldn't talk. James approached George and wrapped him in a hug.
"Erm our friend was brought here his names Alex Elmslie he's 22" James told the receptionist.
"Yep, you need to go to the second floor follow the red line to the end and you should see the emergency unit on your left"
"Thank you... come on guys let's go find Alex" James suggested.

The four walked through the corridors, Gee clutching Arias hand and George walking panicked in front of them. They spotted Alex's brother sitting outside a room with glass windows.
"W-where is he?" George questioned. Will pointed to the room in front of them.
"He's in there" Will whispered weakly.
Gee sat next to him and wrapped the younger boy in a hug, holding back her own tears.

George looked into the room and saw it was full of doctors and machines. In the middle he saw Alex laying on a bed motionless, his face stained red with blood. George could see people rushing around him, hooking him up to countless machines and injecting things into him. George raised his hand and placed it onto the cool glass, his eyes filled with tears, he thought he was losing Alex forever. Then George heard a noise he recognised from watching too many medical shows, the sound that indicated Alex's heart had stopped.

"We're losing him..." could be heard from inside the room. Everyone in the corridor gasped, George couldn't watch this anymore, he couldn't watch as they shocked Alex's small body trying to bring him back. He couldn't watch the love of his life slip away right in front of him. James walked over to George catching him as he fell to the floor.

George and James were now sitting on the floor with their backs to the room and facing the row of chairs that Aria, Gee and Alex's brother were sitting on. George brought his knees to his chest whispering to himself.
"please Alex please don't leave me I love please come back don't die I need you" George wasn't as quiet as he thought. His little speech made the corridor go silent.

10 minutes passed and everyone was quiet except Aria who was calling Mia and Will to tell them about Alex. Suddenly a doctor opened the door to the room Alex was in they all turned to look at him.
"Family of Alex Elmslie?" the doctor asked.
Will stood up quickly.
"Me I'm his brother, but they are all his family, especially George" he said pointing at the man who was now getting up off the floor. The doctor nodded gesturing for them all to take a seat.

"Okay we managed to stabilise Alex for now, he has countless life threatening injuries including internal bleeding and both of his legs being broken. He's currently in a coma which is likely due to him hitting his head in the impact" The doctor explained to the group. Nobody knew what to say so James spoke up, asking the question they were all thinking.
"Is he going to be okay?" James asked politely.
"I'm sorry to have to tell you all this but there is no guarantee he will ever wake up, his injuries are very severe" The doctor stated sympathetically.

George felt sick to his stomach, any hope he had of Alex being fine was dashed in a split second. He placed one hand in the wall and the other clutched his stomach. A wave of nausea hit him causing him to spill the contents of his stomach onto the floor.
"Oh George" Gee sniffled standing up to hug George.
"Gee I love him, he can't leave... I haven't told him yet " George choked into Gees shoulder.
"I know... I know" she said rubbing his back.

"You can sit with him if you'd like" the doctor said to George, clearly understanding that was what George needed right now. George nodded and followed the doctor into the room where Alex lay. He looked small laying in the bed with hundreds of wires and tubes coming off of his damaged body. George felt some relief seeing the heart monitor show that Alex was in fact alive.

~Authors note~
I'm sorry...
Yeah so that happened, guess your just gonna have to find out what happens to Alex?
Will he ever wake up... or will they have to say goodbye.