19. Useless

The last four days had been spent with Alex either laying in his bed, on the sofa or on occasion in Georges bed, due to the fact Alex had been feeling horrendous since he had arrived home. George had called the doctor and asked for anti-nausea medication for Alex but they couldn't collect them from the pharmacy until the end of the week.

That had meant Alex had spent the week throwing up almost everything he ate and drank, meaning Alex was exhausted not only physically but mentally. It had also meant George had spent the week washing bedsheets and cleaning clothes because Alex couldn't control when he threw up and it usually ended up in a mess.

Alex cried every time he threw up somewhere other than in the bowl, he felt horrible that he couldn't do anything to help George. This morning Alex had woken up feeling a familiar wave of sickness rush over him, he tried to force the nausea back down but he couldn't causing him to throw up over his bed again. He begun sobbing because he felt useless, useless because he couldn't do anything he was stuck in bed feeling incredibly ill leaving George to care for him alone.

George was awoken by Alex's sobbing, seeing the man sitting up looking pale, he could see that Alex had been sick again.
"Oh Alex again, you poor thing" George sighed standing up from the bed. He walked over to Alex and helped him pull his shirt off over his head. George then threw Alex's shirt onto the bed and pulled back the sheets and wiped Alex's face with the sheet.

"You're okay don't cry" George hushed as he picked Alex up who weighed considerably less than he did in the hospital. George carried Alex over the corridor into his own room and put him down on the bed, sitting down next to him wrapping him in a hug. Alex sniffled into George, who rubbed his bare back tenderly.

"Your okay Alex, today is the last day your gonna feel this ill, James is going to pick up your prescription today and bring it over as soon as he can" George told Alex. Alex sobbed harder into Georges chest knowing that wasn't the only reason he was crying.

"Alex please don't cry your gonna make yourself sick again sunshine" George tried to comfort Alex which didn't help the guilty feeling that burned in Alex's chest. George placed his finger under Alex's chin and turned the mans head to look face him, George used his thumb to wipe Alex's tears away.
"What else is the matter, I can tell something else is wrong... are you in pain?" George asked growing concerned as Alex sniffed back his sobs.

Alex shook his head, bringing his hand to face to rub his eyes.
"Just feel useless" Alex sighed sadly. George pulled Alex off the bed onto his lap resting the mans legs over his knee and pulling him close. He began to rock them both back and forth as he rubbed Alex's arm.
"You are not useless... why would you think that?" George questioned. Alex let out another sniffle this time into Georges neck.

"b-because I can't do a-anything o-on my own, and all I've d-done this week is be sick, sleep and cry, and you just- you- your- all you do is l-look after me" Alex stuttered over his sniffling. It hurt Georges heart that Alex felt like such a burden, George wanted nothing more than to look after Alex. He'd rather him do it than anyone else because that way he knew Alex was okay and he got to be with him, and that's all he wanted.

"Alex your not useless your just recovering and those stupid side effects are only making you more miserable than you should be. Look at me Alex" George said whispering the last part. Alex listened and looked up at George.
"I don't mind looking after you... in fact I want to look after you... I want to be here with you, because that way I know your okay" George smiled as he rubbed Alex's side.
"Now I will admit I didn't enjoy cleaning up your sick this past week, but I'd do it a thousand times more just to have you here with me" George explained rubbing Alex's cold back.

"Thanks Georgie, sorry for crying so much" Alex sighed.
"Don't apologise Al, you're in pain and you're exhausted, you're allowed to cry" George stated pulling Alex closer so he could hug him.
"Thanks Georgie I love you you're the best" Alex whispered. The two heard someone coughing from behind them they looked to see who it was.

At some point James must have entered their flat using the key he had because he was now standing in the doorway to Georges room staring at them.
"Hey James" George said awkwardly.
"Hey mates I got Alex's medicine" James smiled, ignoring the fact Alex was literally sat in Georges lap.
"Yes finally no more throwing up" Alex cheered raising his arms in the air.
"Thank god for that" George sighed in relief.

"Yeah I can imagine this week hasn't been fun for either of you, Aria also made you some food I put it in the fridge just heat it up when you want it, she also told me to give you this tea it's supposed to help with nausea" James said chucking the bag he was holding at George.
"Thanks mate we could do with anything to help the throwing up" George stated, Alex nodded in agreement.

"Right Al, you talk to James for a bit, I'm going to go and put your bed sheets in the wash for hopefully the last time this week" George laughed as he lifted Alex off of his lap onto the bed.
"Okay come here then Jimbo" Alex smiled patting the bed next to him as George left the room holding the bag with Alex's medicine and the tea from Aria in it. James sat down next to Alex.

"So you two seem pretty close" James mentioned.
"He's amazing, he just... he's the best, he sits with me all day and watches shitty movies, he holds me when I cry and rubs my back and the last week he's spent cleaning up my sick and he hasn't complained once" Alex explained.
"He's pretty amazing Alex, he cares about you so much, you know when you were first in the hospital he stayed awake for three straight days holding your hand, he had to literally pass out before I could get him to go to Wills to sleep or even eat" James told Alex truthfully.
"Did he really?" Alex asked in shock.
"Yeah me and Will tried to get him to sleep, even Gee tried but he refused to leave the room, he was worried something would happen to you when he was gone..." James said spotting tears in Alex's eyes.

"God I love him" Alex breathed out. James nodded understandingly, patting Alex's back kindly.
"Well that's the sheets in the wash" George announced as he enter the room, Alex inhaled sharply hoping George hadn't heard what he'd just said.
"You okay Al?" George asked sitting cross legged on the bed.
"I'm fine don't worry about me" Alex smiled.
"How can I not" George muttered under his breathing thinking Alex wouldn't hear him. But he did, he heard.

~Authors note~
Not James walking in on a cute moment
Did George hear what Alex said...?