13. Reunited

The group arrived at the hospital, they entered the ward they had become horribly familiar with over the last three weeks. This time it was different, nobody was crying, they were all smiling and chatting happily, all excited to be reunited with Alex. The nurses recognised them as they entered, having seen them all so frequently and smiled, it was unusual anyone ever left this ward they were all happy they would get to see someone go home.

Alex's younger brother stood outside the door to Alex's room, this whole ordeal had been a lot harder on him as he watched his older brother die in front of him not once but twice, he just hadn't shown it. He took a deep breath and pushed the door open, everyone else stood in the doorway waiting for Will to enter the room.

He stepped into the door and saw Alex with his eye closed leaning against George, the older of the two spotted him a a smiled at him and beckoned for him to come closer. Alex's parents followed and sat down in the chairs to the left of the bed. All of their friends were attempting to peer into the room without actually coming in, to try and give his family space. But Lewis lost his balance and fell into the room pushing everyone else in with him they all stood awkwardly trying not to laugh. Will broke the silence.

"I though you said he was awake, don't look very awake to me" he commented, Mia gave him a funny look and slapped him. James was shaking his head, stifling a snicker.
"You're a fucking idiot" Mia said with a laugh shaking her head at the ground.
"What it was a genuine question" Will stated.

George was trying not to laugh he loved his mates he really did but Will was so stupid sometimes.
"Will mate he's sleeping, he's in a lot of pain and he's exhausted" George sighed.
"Awwww poor Alex" Gee replied, finally looking less pale now she's seen Alex for herself.

"Not like he ain't been asleep for three weeks... lazy shit" Lewis laughed jokingly, Stephen found it funny but held in a laugh knowing George was sensitive. George didn't reply he only looked at Lewis like he wanted to murder him.
"Sorry mate that was funnier in my head" Lewis blurted. George pressed his lips together and nodded.

"Right you idiots get out and sit in the corridor I want to talk to my boy" Alex's dad smiled, they all nodded and left the room except George who was pinned under Alex anyway.
"Want to wake him up for us sweetie, probably better so he doesn't get scared" Alex's mum suggested. George nodded and begun to rub the mans arm. He wanted to wake him up gently incase he did get scared and jumped, that would hurt him.
"Hey Alex you gotta wake up now" he said as he brushed his fingers along Alex's face.

Alex's eyelids begun to flutter, George was relieved part of him thought the man wasn't going to wake up.
"Hey Al, good afternoon sunshine" George smiled, Alex buried his head into George's chest.
"Hi Georgie, told you I'd wake up this time" Alex laughed remembering his joke.
"Still not funny Al, anyway your parents and Will are here" George told the man.
"They are?" Alex mumbled.
"Yes Al, now I'm gonna go in to the corridor and talk to the seven idiots that are waiting out there... you talk to your family okay?" George suggested. Alex nodded. George smiled.

George slid off from the bed, being careful not to jar Alex's battered body, he helped the man to lay back down gently and brushed the hair out off his eyes.
"Give Will a hug yeah? poor lad looks like he's gonna cry" George said as he passed Alex's younger brother, as he left the room, patting him on the back as he went. George could hear Alex's family talking and Alex telling them not to cry.

He entered the corridor smiling brightly as he saw he friends sitting there. The all stood up and ran to George wrapping him in one giant group hug.
"I cant believe today" Fraser said from behind him.
"Me either" Aria muttered. They let go of each other and sat back in the seats. George let out a deep breath.

"I really thought that was it... I thought that was the last time I'd see him" George admitted, rubbing his hand through his hair.
Everyone nodded in agreement hating how close they had come to losing Alex.

"George? Are you gonna tell him?" Gee said breaking the comfortable silence, Aria and James were wondering the same thing, but didn't want to ask.
"Tell him what Gee?" Will asked not knowing what was going on. Gees eyes widened as she remembered she and George weren't alone. George looked up to see everyone was looking at him, he sighed.

"She wants to know if I'm going to Alex that I'm Gay" George said unable to make any eye contact with anyone. George felt tears prick in his eyes he sniffed trying to stop them from falling. Everyone accept Gee, Aria and James were stunned into silence. George was gay... that was new.

Will saw that George was crying, he got off his chair and knelt down on the floor in front of George. He felt saddened that George was crying, probably thinking they were all gonna hate him now.
"Mate don't cry, look at me George, nobody hates you mate... this changes nothing, you're still George and we love you" Will smiled hugging George.
"I also like men" Lewis said not sure what else to say in this situation.
"We fucking know that Lewis" George laughed into Wills shoulder. Everyone laughed, Lewis shrugged laughing too.

"I'm also in love with Alex" George added quietly as he pulled away from Will.
"We fucking know that George" Lewis said mocking George's comment from earlier. George laughed slightly and then a nervous look spread over his face.
"No mate seriously we know... you stayed awake for three days sitting with him and you haven't been more than five minutes away from him this whole time" Fraser mentioned. George looked at him, not knowing what to say the man smiled reassuringly.

"Also we could have told from the way you were sitting with him in there when we arrived, he was literally asleep on you and not for the first time either..." Stephen commented remembering how George treated Alex when he was ill last month.
"And also by the way you nearly bit Lewis head off when he made that joke" Mia added as she stood up.
"Yeah well his jokes are really shit" George chuckled. Lewis only nodded in agreement knowing George wasn't wrong.

Alex's mum opened the door to the room, her face red from crying, she smiled at the group.
"Come on then you lot its your turn" she smiled.

~Authors note~
Awww George came out to everyone except Alex... bless him 🥺
Will he ever tell Alex ?