20. Together

Later that night after James had left, Alex and George were laying in bed after eating dinner, which Alex had managed to keep down for the first time this week. The room was dark and silent, George was thinking about what Alex had said earlier as he was entering the room, Alex didn't know George had heard him but he had. 'God I love him' George wondered who Alex was talking about, who did Alex love? He hoped it was him he really did.

George couldn't take this anymore he needed Alex to at least know he was gay, he didn't like that he was hiding this from Alex, it was definitely something his best friend should know. He was definitely going to tell Alex tonight whether it was the best time to or not. He wasn't sure he was ready for Alex to know how he felt about him yet... but he definitely had to say something.

"Alex... you awake?" George whispered, just loud enough for the other to hear.
"Yeah I am" Alex mumbled, turning to look at George who was laying on his side facing away from him.
"I- I need to t-talk to you..." George said inhaling deeply, clenching his eyes shut.

Alex was worried now, what could George possibly have to say that was making him so nervous.
"What's wrong Georgie?" Alex questioned as he reached out to rub Georges back. George sat up and leant against the headboard, tears streaming down his face. Alex saw what was happening and he too sat up leaning against the headboard looking at George.

"Alex..." George whispered, looking at the younger man. Alex grabbed his hand and held it trying to calm his obvious distress.
"I've n-needed to tell you this for a w-while" George stuttered inhaling deeply trying to calm his nerves.
"What is it Georgie... you can tell me anything" Alex assured, smiling at George. George gulped, this was it this was actually happening.

"Alex... I'm gay" George whispered. Alex was in shock, he was sure George was straight.
"Really?" Alex asked. George couldn't speak he only nodded in response. Alex knew exactly how George felt right now, Alex remembered the day he came out vividly.

Alex leant forward and hugged George tightly rubbing the mans back.
"Georgie, that's okay... there is nothing wrong with that, I have to agree that men are pretty hot, hence bisexual" Alex laughed trying to lighten the mood. George laughed and nodded in agreement.
"Wanna talk about it?" Alex asked as he rubbed Georges shoulder.
"Yeah please" George said bringing his sleeve covered hand to his face nervously. Alex pulled Georges hand away from his face and held it in his own.

"How long have you known?" Alex questioned rubbing his thumb along Georges hand.
"I think I always knew but just didn't want to accept it. But then not long ago... a little over a month ago actually..." George went quiet. Alex was thinking back to what was happening a little over a month ago, his accident was a month ago... his accident happened the morning after the night out... the night out... the kiss... him and George kissed.

"Oh" Alex commented, unsure what to say.
"The night out..." Alex whispered, George nodded looking down and his hands.
"You kissed me... I'm not making that up am I?" Alex asked. George shook his head.
"You remembered..." George whispered.
"Yeah I did, is that all you've got to tell me?" Alex smiled, hoping George would say something else. George shook his head.

"Y-you know the m-morning after the erm... the kiss I went to James and Arias right? You remember that?" George wondered. Alex nodded slightly the memory was hazy but it was there.
"Well the reason I went there is because I needed someone to talk to because I had realised t-that I always tried to bury how I felt because I guess I w-wanted to be s-straight... and I think that night was the night I could no longer deny that I am gay..." George spoke with uncertainty, looking at Alex who smiled reassuringly, George took a deep breath and continued.

"Alex... kissing you... that was... it made me realise... erm... kissing you was like everything stopped and nothing else mattered... it felt like everything fell into place... it felt right" George admitted, biting at his nails nervously not daring make eye contact with Alex. Alex was silent as he processed what George was trying to tell him.

"Georgie what are you trying to say?" Alex whispered, not wanting to get his hopes up.
George looked up at Alex his eyes tearful, Alex reached out to hold his other hand, George gulped and went to speak but he couldn't.
Alex moved closer to George and touched the mans face.
"It's okay you can say it" he whispered to George, grazing his cheek with his finger.
George closed his eyes and bit his lip, he opened his eyes again and looked directly into Alex's.

"I'm in love with you Alex..." George whispered, he was desperately hoping Alex felt the same. George watched as a smile spread across Alex's face.
"You are?" Alex asked still in complete disbelief at Georges confession.
"So much Alex, so fucking much" George admitted.
"I- Georgie... you really love me?" Alex asked again. George nodded smiling.

Alex felt his heart skip a beat, this was actually happening George loved him. He loved George. The feeling was mutual, this felt like some kind of teen romance movie. Alex took a deep breath and smiled at George.
"Well Georgie, that's good because I love you too... so much" Alex beamed. George couldn't believe what he was hearing, Aria was right Alex did like him in fact no... Alex loved him.

"Can I kiss you?" George asked.
"Please" Alex whispered. George moved closer to Alex, he could feel Alex's hot breath on his face, it reminded him of the first time they kissed in the club. This time however neither of them smelt like alcohol and it meant so much more. Alex bit his lip as George touched his face, George smiled and closed the gap between them. Their lips met tenderly, Alex wanted to stay in this moment forever and George knew he would remember this for the rest of his life.

George pulled away from the kiss first and instead leant into Alex's ear pushing his hair behind it, Alex could feel Georges light breathing against his ear.
"If you didn't have two broken legs I wouldn't be stopping at kissing you" Georges statement made goose bumps spread over Alex's body and caused him to shudder.
"Guess I'll just have to wait and see won't I" Alex whispered smiling slightly as he lay down on the bed.

~Authors note~
Finally George told Alex how he felt and they kissed... took them long enough 🙄