16. Home at last

Three days later and three nights of George sleeping in the hospital bed with Alex, they were finally going home. Alex's parents had cleaned Alex and Georges flat, washed both of their bedsheets and stocked the fridge full of food so that George didn't have to think about anything other than looking after Alex. They had left London yesterday having to go back home to work and had taken their younger son with them, leaving Alex to be cared for by George and his friends.

Currently George was trying to figure out how to work the wheelchair with help from Will. Alex and Mia were watching from the bed as the two failed miserably at the simple task of unfolding it.
"Will your doing it wrong" George sighed.
"No I'm not your just not doing it right" Will fought back. Alex was laughing into Mias shoulder as they watched.
"Idiots actual idiots, it's not that difficult" Mia said shaking her head, smiling slightly.

James opened the door to see Will and George sitting on the floor looking confused as they messed about with the wheelchair, he looked over at Mia and Alex who just shrugged and laughed.
"You're a pair of idiots" James said as he grabbed the wheelchair and unfolded it instantly.
"How the fuck did you do that?" George asked, scratching his head.
"There is literally a button, I just pressed it" James stated laughing.
"Oh... I knew that" George mumbled. James raised his eyebrows and turned to look at Alex.

"Are you sure you wanna go home with that idiot, you can come and stay with me and Aria" James said jokingly. George pulled a fake offended face and put his hand over his forehead dramatically.
"I think we'll be okay, I'll call you if I need rescuing" Alex laughed.
"Ermmmmm why would you need rescuing, I'm gonna be great at looking after you" George said feeling slightly hurt.
"I know Georgie l'm only messing with you" Alex smiled. George smiled back as Mia slid of the bed.

"Right can we please get out of here now" Alex asked.
"Absolutely and we are NEVER coming back" George shuddered. Will nodded in agreement.
"I never wanna see the inside of a hospital again" Will stated.
"Me either" James added.
"Neither do I. Okay I don't mean to sound stupid but Alex can't walk meaning he has to be carried right?" Mia asked
"Yes you are correct" George said looking at her as he walked towards Alex.
"Alex is literally taller than you George how are you supposed to lift him on your own" Mia asked genuinely curious. George smiled and looked at Alex who nodded.

"Watch this, we've been practicing" George responded as he picked Alex up from the bed, bridal style with ease.
"He literal weighs nothing it's pretty easy" George smiled as he put Alex down in the wheelchair gently.
"Fair enough, stronger than you look George" Mia smiled as she picked up one of the bags from the floor.

George grabbed his own hoodie and helped Alex pull it over his head.
"Thanks Georgie" Alex giggled, he was trying not to blush as he realised he was wearing George's favourite hoodie.
"Your welcome, wouldn't want you getting cold, we're avoiding hospitals at all costs from now on" George sighed, grabbing the bags of stuff and throwing them at Will and James.

"Right let's get out of here" George cheered as he pushed Alex out of the room.
"We're going homeeeeee" Alex rejoiced.
Will and James smiled as they carried the bags, Mia was thanking all the nurses and doctors. Georges favourite nurse approached them as they were leaving.
"As lovely as you guys are, I never want to see you again" the nurse stated as she leant to hug Alex. She stood up and hugged George goodbye.
"You better marry that boy, I've seen the way you look at each other, you two are perfect for each other honey" the nurse whispered in George's ear making him smile.

"I will, if he wants me" George replied quietly.
"He does honey he does" the nurse said as she patted George's back and walked away.
'I really hope so' he thought, exhaling deeply.

"Okay we gotta get a move on the Uber I called is gonna be here soon" James explained, the three were sharing an Uber home as James lived a five minute walk from Alex and George.
"Come on then you lot let's go" Will grinned leading the group down the corridor.

They made it outside and saw the Uber pulling up, Will, Mia and James put all the bags in the boot and closed it. George opened the door and pushed Alex up next to the car.
"You ready?" George asked Alex, who nodded and braced himself. George picked Alex up and placed him in the car so his feet were laying on the seat.
"You okay?" George asked sympathetically.
"I'm good Georgie" Alex said as he plugged his seatbelt in.

"Bye guys" Will said as he and Mia walked away waving. James got in the front passenger seat and George sat in the back, lifting Alex's casted feet onto his lap gently. The drive was not fun for Alex it was painful, he felt sick and he was exhausted.

George noticed that Alex was pale and he looked like he was in pain.
"You okay Al?" George muttered. Alex shook his head.
"Hurts and I feel sick" Alex whimpered.
"Oh Al just hold on we're nearly home" George reached out to hold Alex's hand. Alex felt like he was going to cry.

Ten minutes later they pulled up outside Alex and George's flat. George and James got out of the car, James grabbed the bags put them on the path. George went round to Alex's side of the car and picked him up. James unfolded the wheelchair and George put him down in it.
"You feel better now?" George asked kneeling down in front of Alex.
"A bit" Alex whispered, putting his head in his hands. George sighed and rubbed Alex's back.

"I'll come up with you and bring the bags and then I'll leave you two alone, he clearly needs some rest" James said gesturing toward Alex.
"Yeah thanks mate" George said as he began to push Alex inside. The three men entered the building and headed into the lift, clicking the correct button for Alex and Georges floor.

The lift stopped and the men got out George pushing Alex along the corridor. George unlocked the flat door and James stepped inside and put down the bags. He looked down to see Alex was definitely not in the mood to talk, instead he just waved at George and left the two men in the flat.

"It's good to be home Al" George smiled, as he knelt down in front of Alex holding back his tears.
"Don't cry Georgie" Alex whispered, holding the mans hand.
"Can't help it just really didn't think I'd ever see you here again... I almost lost you" George choked out.
"Oh Georgie" Alex sighed.

"Hey you know what it's okay because we're home at last... you wanna sit on the sofa?" George asked, Alex nodded so George scooped him up and carried him to the sofa.
"Hold me please Georgie" Alex said quietly, not wanting to make his best friend uncomfortable.
"Always" George replied pulling Alex closer to him, he didn't know why Alex wanted him to hold him but he definitely didn't object.

~Authors note~
He's home
I'm very sorry for nearly killing off Alex....
that's a lie I'm not
IT WAS FOR THE PLOT DON'T HATE ME