Chapter 1 - Awaiting

Published on 27.02.2021

● A U T H O R ●

Sipping on her tea while having her headphones on, she sat in the balcony of their humble abode lost in her own world which was nothing but empty. She liked this; the tranquility, the peace that the late evening offered.

Watching the sunset and the sky go through hues of orange and yellow, the chirping of birds while they return to their homes, to feel the cool breeze against her skin, the noise of traffic in Mumbai to which now she was well habituated while listening to music and enjoying the warm ginger tea relaxed her, calmed her down and always managed to bring a small smile on her face. Nature is beautiful.

She was grateful that her workload had been considerably reduced for the next few months since she had been having a rigorous schedule for last four months which consisted of over timing, so many late night shifts, making up for her colleagues absence at times and what not which drained her physically as well as mentally. The much needed ease gave her time to cherish moments like this and spend time with herself. She was so into her own zone that she didn't realise when her friend came back home until she hugged her from back.

"Kiara, go and freshen up. You're sweaty!" she said grimacing and slightly tilted her head towards her friend who had a sickly sweet smile on her face. Kiara unwrapped her arms around her, removed the headphones and came to sit beside her. She waited for her to say something but she continued staring absentmindedly into oblivion with the empty cup in her hand. Kiara nudged her shoulder making her turn towards her.

"Aarohi, hey what happened?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

"Nothing great."

"Oh come-on. Look I'm tired so just tell me what's bothering you because I'm in no mood to prod you continuously. So stop acting pricey."

Aarohi rolled her eyes at her friend as she knew she won't give up.

"Mamma had called me. She told me to come home on Sunday for a few days. Said that we're going to a girl's place to talk about Armaan's marriage."

"Wow that's great!" Kiara cheered happily which earned her a are you serious look from Aarohi. "What?"

"Kiaraaaaa! My brother already has a girlfriend then why the hell in his sane mind would he agree to this proposal?" she said exasperatedly.

"Oh, sorry it slipped out of my mind," she said sheepishly.

"What's weird is that when I called and asked Armaan, he just shrugged off and said to come home and I'll understand everything. I don't know what's going on."

"Hey hey. Maybe Armaan and his girlfriend broke up and hence he agreed for this!?" Kiara raised her eyebrows suggestively.

Aarohi just shook her head dejectedly. "It can't be. When I spoke to him few days back everything was good. I'm the only one in the family who knows about his relationship and he sounded happy."

Kiara seemed to be in deep thought and then suddenly beamed when something striked her. "What if Armaan told about her to your parents and the girl that y'all are going to meet is the same?"

Aarohi chuckled. "I thought the same Kia. But then... I don't know. It's just there's a feeling that's making me restless as if... Ugh I don't know," she threw her hands in air irritatedly before sighing.

Kiara grabbed her by her shoulders and looked at her softly. "Dr Sharma stop over thinking and stop bothering yourself so much. Anyways Sunday is just day after tomorrow so you'll eventually know. Nothing wrong will happen so don't stress over something that hasn't even happened yet. Now, see I'm completely exhausted. So while I freshen up and take a warm shower go and cook dinner."